stone

Default OT-separating engine from generator

I found an old standby generator and I'd like to
separate the engine from the generator.

It is a generac generator and a 4 cylinder engine.

The problem is a hidden bolt inside a housing
in between the generator and the engine.

Does anyone by chance know how this sort of
assembly comes apart?

It has a hub on the end of the generator armature
that bolts on to the fly wheel with six bolts.

The problem is a fan connected to this hub, by blind
bolts, that won't allow the generator through the
housing which is bolted onto the engine bell.

If by chance anyone recognizes this problem,
thanks for the help.

Carl Byrns

"stone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I found an old standby generator and I'd like to
separate the engine from the generator.

It is a generac generator and a 4 cylinder engine.

The problem is a hidden bolt inside a housing
in between the generator and the engine.

Does anyone by chance know how this sort of
assembly comes apart?

It has a hub on the end of the generator armature
that bolts on to the fly wheel with six bolts.

The problem is a fan connected to this hub, by blind
bolts, that won't allow the generator through the
housing which is bolted onto the engine bell.

If by chance anyone recognizes this problem,
thanks for the help.

Oh, boy.
If this anything like my Kohler Electric Plant you have take the generator
section apart completely, leaving the armature connected to the crankshaft.
Take lots of pictures for future reference.
With the armature fully exposed, whack it with a rubber mallet in the
direction of rotation because it is connected to the crank by a taper,
which will hopefully release.

Good luck.

-Carl

stone

I do have a manual that has an explode diagram.

And the problem is the 'big' nut on the armature
inside the fly wheel hub.

I thought that even if you disassemble from the generator
end, how would one get to this hidden nut.

Are you saying that you do infact need to disassemble
from the generator end, leave the armature hanging,
then tap the nut off?

Is it really this stupid?

Appreciate your help.

B.B.

In article .com,
"stone" wrote:

I found an old standby generator and I'd like to
separate the engine from the generator.

It is a generac generator and a 4 cylinder engine.

The problem is a hidden bolt inside a housing
in between the generator and the engine.

Does anyone by chance know how this sort of
assembly comes apart?

It has a hub on the end of the generator armature
that bolts on to the fly wheel with six bolts.

The problem is a fan connected to this hub, by blind
bolts, that won't allow the generator through the
housing which is bolted onto the engine bell.

If by chance anyone recognizes this problem,
thanks for the help.

I think you can pop the armature off the shaft, leaving the hub & fan
connected to the engine. The armature shaft ought to be hollow once you
take the long retaining bolt out of the end of it. Tap the end of the
shaft, install a grease fitting, and pump it loose. Slightly messy to
clean up, but less hassle than the other way.*
If it's not put together that way, sorry, it's a beastie I've never
seen before. I've only dealt with the little one and two cylinder
versions.

*The other way: take out the retaining bolt, look at the thread size.
Find a short bolt with that thread, cut off the head and slot it so you
can use a screwdriver. Slide it back down the shaft and screw it in.
Tap the end of the armature shaft like the grease method (I think it's
the size for a 5/8 fine thread, but you'd better measure) and get a bolt
that fits. Now find a rod long enough to go in, touch the head of the
slotted screw/bolt thing, but be far enough back you can get your 5/8
bolt started before hitting it. Screw down the 5/8 bolt until you're
applying a bunch of pressure then smack the head of it with a hammer.
Armature should pop off. If it doesn't, tighten the bolt a quarter turn
and try again. Repeat until it's loose or you destroy something.
Personally, I'd use the grease method.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Vaughn

Ask on the generator board at smokstak.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Vaughn

"stone" wrote in message
oups.com...
I found an old standby generator and I'd like to
separate the engine from the generator.

It is a generac generator and a 4 cylinder engine.

The problem is a hidden bolt inside a housing
in between the generator and the engine.

Does anyone by chance know how this sort of
assembly comes apart?

It has a hub on the end of the generator armature
that bolts on to the fly wheel with six bolts.

The problem is a fan connected to this hub, by blind
bolts, that won't allow the generator through the
housing which is bolted onto the engine bell.

If by chance anyone recognizes this problem,
thanks for the help.

is there a whole-house automatic generator transfer switch? reality intrudes Home Repair 6 September 26th 04 11:04 PM
Replacement engine for Colemate Generator Robert Snyder Metalworking 12 August 23rd 04 03:31 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Possible to build a generator with a spare briggs engine? Don Metalworking 8 December 12th 03 02:23 PM
'85 Toyota Truck - Engine Dilemma Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 33 September 25th 03 03:19 PM