Chuck Jurgens

Default Help w/ rebuilding B&S engine

I have replaced the rings in a 15.5 hp B&S engine - model 28N707. When I
disassembled the engine, I failed to notice which pusher rod was the exhaust
and which was the intake. One rod has a red band painted on it and is
slightly longer than the other. It also has "rounder" ends than the other
one.

Can someone tell me which is which?

In addition, are the tappets identical or is one for intake and one for
exhaust? If they are different, how do I tell the difference?

TIA

Chuck

Ken Sterling

I have replaced the rings in a 15.5 hp B&S engine - model 28N707. When I
disassembled the engine, I failed to notice which pusher rod was the exhaust
and which was the intake. One rod has a red band painted on it and is
slightly longer than the other. It also has "rounder" ends than the other
one.

Can someone tell me which is which?

In addition, are the tappets identical or is one for intake and one for
exhaust? If they are different, how do I tell the difference?

TIA

Chuck

Could also use the "code" number on the ID Plate...
Ken.

Stormin Mormon

They certainly are different -- the exhaust handles much higher
temperatures. I'm not sure which one is which. The small engines I used to
service, the intake valve is wider.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chuck Jurgens" wrote in message
I have replaced the rings in a 15.5 hp B&S engine - model 28N707. When I
disassembled the engine, I failed to notice which pusher rod was the exhaust
and which was the intake. One rod has a red band painted on it and is
slightly longer than the other. It also has "rounder" ends than the other
one.

Can someone tell me which is which?

In addition, are the tappets identical or is one for intake and one for
exhaust? If they are different, how do I tell the difference?

TIA

Chuck

Garrett Fulton

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
They certainly are different -- the exhaust handles much higher
temperatures. I'm not sure which one is which. The small engines I used to
service, the intake valve is wider.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

I beieve he's asking about pushrods, not valves.

Garrett Fulton

The Briggs and Stratton web site has illustrated parts list for most
all models of their engines. Might be worth seeing if they have yours.

Dan

I have replaced the rings in a 15.5 hp B&S engine - model 28N707.

That's the same engine that blew up on my tractor

I guess that's why it was so easy for me to find a 2nd hand
carb for my 287707 on eBay, then. Hope it lasts a few more
years...
--Glenn Lyford

Chuck Jurgens wrote:
I have replaced the rings in a 15.5 hp B&S engine - model
28N707. When I disassembled the engine, I failed to notice
which pusher rod was the exhaust and which was the intake.
One rod has a red band painted on it and is slightly longer
than the other. It also has "rounder" ends than the other
one.

Can someone tell me which is which?

In addition, are the tappets identical or is one for intake
and one for exhaust? If they are different, how do I tell the
difference?

TIA

Chuck

I have a seven year old 14.5HP B&S that makes a knocking sound at
startup, shutdown and everytime the rpm's change. I guess it is getting
ready to explode. The B&S website is pretty nice in providing PDF files
of the exploded parts lists. Now I just need to get brave enough to
tear into this engine.

I don't like the dipsticks on the recent engines. I think it makes it
more difficult to fill an accurate oil level. This may have contributed
to my trouble.

Junior Member

Just a guess, but, would blue be intake and red exhaust?

tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Chuck Jurgens wrote:
[...]

Ken Sterling

Chuck Jurgens wrote:
[...]

Try checking the mounting bolts for the engine - you might find out
they are loose and the knocking sound is the engine trying to rotate
around the crank as it's running.
Ken.