Default Damped Torsion Spring?

Hello to all,

I am in the process of designing a box with a slow opening function and
would like to employ a torsion spring with a dampener (similar to the
unfolding M-tronic calculator) Does anybody know of a source for a
damped torsion spring or something that could produce a similar
function thats easy to get a hold of?

Thanks Steve

Richard J Kinch

Does anybody know of a source for a
damped torsion spring or something that could produce a similar
function thats easy to get a hold of?

Machinerys Handbook gives you formulas to make your own torsion springs
from spring wire. Used it on my page here, although a bit larger scale:

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm
Don Foreman

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:17:07 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

If it's relatively small, you can probably use a regular style hinge
design lubed with "damping grease" and the torsion spring to make it
"ooze" open. That's what's used in little things like calculator lids. I
don't know how large an item the same stuff could be used for, but Nye
could likely tell you.

The J.M. Nye company makes damping greases. I don't know how large an
item the same stuff could be used for, but Nye could likely tell you.

This page describes a sample kit of these types of greases:

http://www.nyelubricants.com/2002_311.htm

With the right approach, you might be able to "schnorr" enough from them
as a free sample to do what you need to do.

Neat! Noted and logged!

Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

If it's relatively small, you can probably use a regular style hinge
design lubed with "damping grease" and the torsion spring to make it
"ooze" open. That's what's used in little things like calculator lids. I
don't know how large an item the same stuff could be used for, but Nye
could likely tell you.

The J.M. Nye company makes damping greases. I don't know how large an
item the same stuff could be used for, but Nye could likely tell you.

This page describes a sample kit of these types of greases:

http://www.nyelubricants.com/2002_311.htm

With the right approach, you might be able to "schnorr" enough from them
as a free sample to do what you need to do.

Neat! Noted and logged!

I probably should have defined "schnorr" for those not familiar with
that particular German/Yiddish expression:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/schnorrer

In my college daze in the 50s a buddy and I got letterhead printed up
bearing a realistic looking but non-specific company name. We used it to
request free samples from parts manufacturers. Back in those days our
hobby projects were mainly building vacuum tube "Hi Fi" equipment, which
often included quite a few "schnorred" components.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Don Foreman

On Tue, 24 May 2005 11:59:06 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I probably should have defined "schnorr" for those not familiar with
that particular German/Yiddish expression:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/schnorrer

In my college daze in the 50s a buddy and I got letterhead printed up
bearing a realistic looking but non-specific company name. We used it to
request free samples from parts manufacturers. Back in those days our
hobby projects were mainly building vacuum tube "Hi Fi" equipment, which
often included quite a few "schnorred" components.

Jeff

I meant the grease. :) (ducking)

Many Thanks to you Jeff. good info will pursue...

Steve