Jeff Wisnia

JohnM wrote:
wrote:

Hello to all,

I am in the process of designing a box with a slow opening function and
would like to employ a torsion spring with a dampener (similar to the
unfolding M-tronic calculator) Does anybody know of a source for a
damped torsion spring or something that could produce a similar
function thats easy to get a hold of?
Thanks Steve

How big of a box? How heavy is the lid?

John

If it's relatively small, you can probably use a regular style hinge
design lubed with "damping grease" and the torsion spring to make it
"ooze" open. That's what's used in little things like calculator lids. I
don't know how large an item the same stuff could be used for, but Nye
could likely tell you.

The J.M. Nye company makes damping greases. I don't know how large an
item the same stuff could be used for, but Nye could likely tell you.

This page describes a sample kit of these types of greases:

http://www.nyelubricants.com/2002_311.htm

With the right approach, you might be able to "schnorr" enough from them
as a free sample to do what you need to do.

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)