Default sine plate

Just starting out, I have a sine plate with one end as a hinge. It has
a small locking bracket but it could not take any pressure, Is the
upper angle part supposed to go in the vise to hold it securley.

machineman

Sine plates are normally used with gage blocks or spacer blocks. They
would mostly be used with a surface grinder or for very light cuts on a
mill. Depending on the model, some are held down just by the weight of
the plate and the arced clamps while others also have clamps on the
pivots. see the url below for some more instructions.

http://www.auto-met.com/subtool/stcat/st_136.html

Jon Elson wrote:
wrote:

Just starting out, I have a sine plate with one end as a hinge. It has
a small locking bracket but it could not take any pressure, Is the
upper angle part supposed to go in the vise to hold it securley.

Generally you put a stack of spacer blocks under the upper round bar
to set the angle. Spacer blocks are lower-precision gauge blocks, often
with a threaded hole so they can be stacked up on a setscrew.

Jon

F. George McDuffee

snip
wrote:
Just starting out, I have a sine plate with one end as a hinge. It has
a small locking bracket but it could not take any pressure, Is the
upper angle part supposed to go in the vise to hold it securley.

snip
From what I have seen, sine plates and bars are mainly used in
low force applications such as layout and grinding.

It is possible to align the part to a given angle, bolt this onto
a right angle iron, and then transfer the right angle iron with
part onto a mill table.

In home shop / educational setting, I have had the best luck
using a magnetic sine bar and test indicator to get the correct
angle in a regular milling vise. You can do compound angles with
a little math by angling the part in the mill vise and then
rotating the vise. PITA.

GmcD

GmcD

BBQ Plate Question? BIGEYE UK diy 3 February 14th 05 10:46 PM
Warped outer plate - query John Moorhead Woodworking 2 December 15th 04 10:14 PM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM
router base plate [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 2nd 04 09:15 PM
Too many holes in the wall top plate? B Home Repair 2 August 8th 03 07:48 PM