F. George McDuffee

snip
wrote:
Just starting out, I have a sine plate with one end as a hinge. It has
a small locking bracket but it could not take any pressure, Is the
upper angle part supposed to go in the vise to hold it securley.

snip
From what I have seen, sine plates and bars are mainly used in
low force applications such as layout and grinding.

It is possible to align the part to a given angle, bolt this onto
a right angle iron, and then transfer the right angle iron with
part onto a mill table.

In home shop / educational setting, I have had the best luck
using a magnetic sine bar and test indicator to get the correct
angle in a regular milling vise. You can do compound angles with
a little math by angling the part in the mill vise and then
rotating the vise. PITA.

GmcD

GmcD