artfulbodger

Default Tool brand names

It's been a while since I've been in the market for shop stuff. Now
I'm thinking about some indexing equipment, rotary table, dividing
head maybe, and like that. I don't need to go high end, but neither
do I like junk; so, before digging into the catalogs, I thought I'd
ask: Does Palmgren still suck? Is Phase II still pretty good? Any
other midrange names out there I should watch for / watch out for?

Pete

--
Artful Bodger
http://www.artfulbodger.net

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:
Phase II is pretty decent, about where Yuasa used to be. With Enco free
shipping up to 125 pounds, you can get pretty good deals from them. - GWE

And which direction has Yuasa gone? Have they improved or gone
downhill?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DeepDiver

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

With Enco free shipping up to 125 pounds, you can get pretty good
deals from them.

As long as you realize that there are a number of items that are within the
125 lb. weight limit that Enco insists on shipping only by truck.

- Michael

Karl Townsend

And which direction has Yuasa gone? Have they improved or gone
downhill?

There must be only one direction to choose. I have an old Yusa Dividing head
with spiral milling attachment. One excellent piece of tooling. I added a
servo motor for full fourth axis ability on my CNC mill. Its seen A LOT of
work.

Karl

Scott S. Logan

On Fri, 06 May 2005 01:59:04 GMT, artfulbodger
wrote:

It's been a while since I've been in the market for shop stuff. Now
I'm thinking about some indexing equipment, rotary table, dividing
head maybe, and like that. I don't need to go high end, but neither
do I like junk; so, before digging into the catalogs, I thought I'd
ask: Does Palmgren still suck? Is Phase II still pretty good? Any
other midrange names out there I should watch for / watch out for?

I never really thought Palmgren "sucked". Certainly not inexpensive,
but a pretty good reputation from what I had heard. If someone could
enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

Phase II has improved over the years, but recently has eliminated a
number of products from their catalog. I've been waiting for new
catalogs for over a year now (I am a distributor, and it makes it hard
to sell without catalogs).

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co. http://www.lathe.com |
| Harvard, IL |
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

RCM FAQ - http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News - http://www.metalwebnews.com/
Help squash SPAM: http://www.cauce.org/
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 06 May 2005 05:39:08 GMT, the inscrutable "DeepDiver"
spake:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

With Enco free shipping up to 125 pounds, you can get pretty good
deals from them.

As long as you realize that there are a number of items that are within the
125 lb. weight limit that Enco insists on shipping only by truck.

That's only because the Brown Truck service tends to drop-test
too many of the heavier items from the top of their 20' conveyor
system. It ain't purty.

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

VOTE LIBERTARIAN OR YOU WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.
DeepDiver

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 May 2005 05:39:08 GMT, the inscrutable "DeepDiver"
spake:

As long as you realize that there are a number of items that are within
the
125 lb. weight limit that Enco insists on shipping only by truck.

That's only because the Brown Truck service tends to drop-test
too many of the heavier items from the top of their 20' conveyor
system. It ain't purty.

If it's only that, then how does one account for them sending a group of
items in a box that collectively weigh upwards of 70 lbs? Surely a box
filled with items that collectively weighs 70 lbs would be essentially as
"ugly" falling off their 20' conveyor as would a box containing a single 100
lb item, no?

I realize that they can (and do) break up multiple items into multiple boxes
to lessen the total weight of any one box, but I've received boxes from them
that were packed fairly heavy. Perhaps that's not the norm.

- Michael

artfulbodger

"Scott S. Logan" wrote:

I never really thought Palmgren "sucked". Certainly not inexpensive,
but a pretty good reputation from what I had heard. If someone could
enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

Scott, I can't enlighten you, really, having never used anything by
Palmgren. It's just that I remember that a few years ago here there
was much grousing about the quality of Palmgren vises. ISTR someone
complaining about his new vise and half a dozen others chiming in &
saying, "Yeah, not worth it; I got burned by a Palmgren sale, too;
spend the extra hundred bucks & get this other vise, easily twice as
good."

But that's all I know.

--
Artful Bodger
http://www.artfulbodger.net

axolotl

artfulbodger wrote:

But that's all I know.

Pete

Pete,

We haven't seen you around much lately. Stick around, it adds to the mix.

Kevin Gallimore

artfulbodger

axolotl wrote:

We haven't seen you around much lately. Stick around, it adds to the mix.

Thanks, Kevin. Yes, I've been gone for a while. I had to dismantle
my shop when I moved, and since then I've had a few chaotic years.
New location, new business, sick relatives, blah blah ... but things
are settling down now & I've started to get my tools in order. If I
don't get going, I'll be dead before I can make use of all those all
those castings in the garage.

So I think I'll be around here for a bit.

Pete

--
Artful Bodger
http://www.artfulbodger.net