GD

Default Wtd. lathe head

I am looking for a gear head from a lathe. I want to use it for a
gear reduction box for a 36" bandsaw. That way I will be able to change
the speed of the blade with just the movement of a lever or two. I am
in NC so it would better if it is in my state as shipping would be
probably to much.
Gary
tim

Gear box from riding lawn mower maybe.

GD

tim wrote:
Gear box from riding lawn mower maybe.

Good Idea! I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks
DC Las Vegas

Many of the Bandsaws from Taiwan use a 3 speed motorcycle transmission.
Just wondering, what is the horsepower of the saw you are using and what fpm
does it have now.?
You might be able to use an AC inverter.

"GD" wrote in message
I am looking for a gear head from a lathe. I want to use it for a gear
reduction box for a 36" bandsaw. That way I will be able to change the
speed of the blade with just the movement of a lever or two. I am in NC
so it would better if it is in my state as shipping would be probably to
much.
Gary

GD

The saw is a old 36" bandsaw and the blade speed is way to fast even
for wood. I figured that for the low speed to cut steel I will need
about a hundred/one reduction. My thought is that with the lathe head it
would be really easy to get what ever blade fps that I will need.

"GD" wrote in message

I am looking for a gear head from a lathe. I want to use it for a gear
reduction box for a 36" bandsaw. That way I will be able to change the
speed of the blade with just the movement of a lever or two. I am in NC
so it would better if it is in my state as shipping would be probably to
much.
Gary

yourname

"GD" wrote in message

I am looking for a gear head from a lathe. I want to use it for a
gear reduction box for a 36" bandsaw. That way I will be able to
change the speed of the blade with just the movement of a lever or
two. I am in NC so it would better if it is in my state as shipping
would be probably to much.
Gary

some ol 4 speed tranny, easier to find