Default Cutting Oil Alternatives - suggestions/sources?

I am just getting into some metalworking projects, and will be doing a
substantial amount of drilling into steel (using a Delta drill press).
I heard that it is best to use "cutting oil" to facilitate the cut and
to prolong the life of the bits. However, a quick search on the web
shows that prices start at about $14 per gallon. Are there any
alternatives which will do the trick, but not be as costly? How about
motor oil?
please advise,
thanks.

Tim Williams

Fry up some bacon, eat it, pour off the grease and mix about half and half
with medium spirits (paint thinner, diesel, kerosene, etc.). And the best
part is, if you use an "odorless" spirit, you'll smell bacon grease each and
every time you cut! Yummm!

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am just getting into some metalworking projects, and will be doing a
substantial amount of drilling into steel (using a Delta drill press).
I heard that it is best to use "cutting oil" to facilitate the cut and
to prolong the life of the bits. However, a quick search on the web
shows that prices start at about $14 per gallon. Are there any
alternatives which will do the trick, but not be as costly? How about
motor oil?
please advise,
thanks.

Jon Danniken

I am just getting into some metalworking projects, and will be doing a
substantial amount of drilling into steel (using a Delta drill press).
I heard that it is best to use "cutting oil" to facilitate the cut and
to prolong the life of the bits. However, a quick search on the web
shows that prices start at about $14 per gallon. Are there any
alternatives which will do the trick, but not be as costly? How about
motor oil?

I have a small Delta, and when I need coolant I put it near the sink (in a
makeshift plastic dam) and run a small line with water to the cutting area.
Probably a really bad idea, but for my needs it works rather well.

Jon