Jon Danniken

I am just getting into some metalworking projects, and will be doing a
substantial amount of drilling into steel (using a Delta drill press).
I heard that it is best to use "cutting oil" to facilitate the cut and
to prolong the life of the bits. However, a quick search on the web
shows that prices start at about $14 per gallon. Are there any
alternatives which will do the trick, but not be as costly? How about
motor oil?

I have a small Delta, and when I need coolant I put it near the sink (in a
makeshift plastic dam) and run a small line with water to the cutting area.
Probably a really bad idea, but for my needs it works rather well.

Jon