Peter Fairbrother

Default Cleaning stainless.

Hi,

I spilled some sulphuric acid on my stainless kitchen sink - if you're going
to spill it anywhere, I figured a dry sink would be a safe place to do it-
and safety wise it was a good idea, but it has left stains.

Any idea what I can use to remove them?

Thanks,

--
Peter Fairbrother

Richard Ferguson

I would probably use fine wet-dry sandpaper, not sure what the finish on
the sink is, maybe 220 grit. I also use industrial scotchbrite to put
on a shiny but not buffed finish. Stainless does not have a special
coating, as far as I know, so just sand away the stain.

Richard

Peter Fairbrother wrote:
Hi,

I spilled some sulphuric acid on my stainless kitchen sink - if you're going
to spill it anywhere, I figured a dry sink would be a safe place to do it-
and safety wise it was a good idea, but it has left stains.

Any idea what I can use to remove them?

Thanks,

Proctologically Violated©®

"Richard Ferguson" wrote in message
I would probably use fine wet-dry sandpaper, not sure what the finish on
the sink is, maybe 220 grit. I also use industrial scotchbrite to put on a
shiny but not buffed finish. Stainless does not have a special coating, as
far as I know, so just sand away the stain.

Yeah, but now he's gotta do the whole goddamm sink!
But one of the vississytudes of SS.

What I do is leave all markings on everything and call it "character".
Or NooVoo Art'n'****...
W/ 4 cats that will **** on yer feet if stand in one spot too long, I got
lots a character in my house... And great art....

Just spit ballin, but you might be able to find a spare sink in a scrap
yard, and experiment w/ heat on the stained area. Mebbe w/ some luck the
heat plus the stain might bring it back more in line w/ the original finish.
Scotchbrite is good for satin-y finishes, altho it would be better iffin you
could spin your sink on a lathe....
Actually, Continental puts ScotchBrite-like padding on 5/8-11 4" wheels, in
various grits (maroon, grey I have myself--very good hardware stores have
these), and Carborundum sells kits of rubber-backed thinner scothbrite-like
disks. Proly sumpn you could kluge together yourself.
An angle grinder on a variac is also less frenetic. Angle autopolisher is
also more sedate--just got one--really neat.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Richard

Peter Fairbrother wrote:
Hi,

I spilled some sulphuric acid on my stainless kitchen sink - if you're
going
to spill it anywhere, I figured a dry sink would be a safe place to do
it-
and safety wise it was a good idea, but it has left stains.

Any idea what I can use to remove them?

Thanks,

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Peter Fairbrother
wrote:

Hi,

I spilled some sulphuric acid on my stainless kitchen sink - if you're going
to spill it anywhere, I figured a dry sink would be a safe place to do it-
and safety wise it was a good idea, but it has left stains.

Any idea what I can use to remove them?

Thanks,

Bonami scrubbing powder, a little water and scrotchbrite.
Peter Fairbrother

Thanks all.

I used scotchbrite and citric acid, and while the stains haven't gone away
they are now almost the same colour as the base metal, so they aren't really
noticeable unless you know where to look.

Might try something else later, but that will do for now.

--
Peter Fairbrother

Martin H. Eastburn

Very likely it is a sulfur compound of one type or another.
Likely due to the sulfur isn't soluble in water.

Sounds like the Citris did some good having complex acids itself.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life