Terry Mayhugh

Default 3 phase bandsaw question

It seems to me that a static converter would nicely run one of the surplus 3
phase vertical metal bandsaws that I often see on Ebay. But does anyone know
if it would also run the on-board blade welder? If not, has anyone come up
with a reasonable solution? TIA

I do not know, but I strongly suspect the on board blade welder runs on
single phase. The reason is that if it were to be a three phase
welder, it would require extra hardware to transform the three phase
into DC to do the welding.

Dan
Terry Mayhugh wrote:
It seems to me that a static converter would nicely run one of the

surplus 3
phase vertical metal bandsaws that I often see on Ebay. But does

anyone know
if it would also run the on-board blade welder? If not, has anyone

come up
with a reasonable solution? TIA

Gunner

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:35:59 GMT, "Terry Mayhugh"
wrote:

It seems to me that a static converter would nicely run one of the surplus 3
phase vertical metal bandsaws that I often see on Ebay. But does anyone know
if it would also run the on-board blade welder? If not, has anyone come up
with a reasonable solution? TIA

Most of the blade welders are 220vac single phase. Simply pull off
two of the three lines and run the blade welder. Use any two of the
three..though L1 and L3 are best (the two non generated legs)

This does NOT work with a VFD. Use the single phase 220 line before
the VFD. (and yes..a VFD works very nicely on a band saw)

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

I do not think it is a DC welder. But if it were a 3 phase welder, it
could not be an AC welder unless one added a lot of components. It
would require adding fewer components to have it be a DC welder, but
there would be no advantage and it would cost more.
Dan

Grant Erwin wrote:
Why do you think the welder is DC? It certainly could be, but I don't

think
mine is. My guess is it's a single phase unit, just as almost all

coolant
pumps on 3 phase lathes are single phase. - GWE