KVacek

Default Best way to sell old kitchen cabinets

Our new cabinets will be here in a week or so, and I've procrastinated
about getting rid of the old ones. They're very nice ash, very
usable, and there are lots of them along with a built-in desk, corner
cabinets, leaded glass in some doors, etc. - but we're tired of them
and besides we reconfigured and they just don't fit any more.

I've thought of the local paper, but no photos there. Maybe the
bulletin board at the grocery store? Lots of people have said to try
eBay, but old cabinets aren't a national sort of sale - these will
sell (if at all) to someone local.

Am I missing an obvious approach? Is there any proven, best way to
sell them?

Thanks!
Karl

HomeBrewer

Sell on ebay and state local pick up only in the auction. You'd be surprised
how many people use ebay.

--
___________________
HomeBrewer

Local Habitat for Humanity or Goodwill would pick them up and give you
a receipt allowing you to put a value on them for tax return.
TB

Colbyt

"KVacek" wrote in message
news:b6b8a$42473ac9$455da0d2$20758@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Our new cabinets will be here in a week or so, and I've procrastinated
about getting rid of the old ones. They're very nice ash, very
usable, and there are lots of them along with a built-in desk, corner
cabinets, leaded glass in some doors, etc. - but we're tired of them
and besides we reconfigured and they just don't fit any more.

I've thought of the local paper, but no photos there. Maybe the
bulletin board at the grocery store? Lots of people have said to try
eBay, but old cabinets aren't a national sort of sale - these will
sell (if at all) to someone local.

Am I missing an obvious approach? Is there any proven, best way to
sell them?

Thanks!
Karl

You aren't going to get what they are worth no matter what you do. Ten cents
on the cost dollar is about tops.

The Ebay suggestion is worth the cost of the effort. Low cost and if they
don't sell you are out few bucks. If you go this route use the regional
option to maximize your potential.

Habitat won't take them for use in their new homes. They might take them
for resale in one of their resale stores if they have one in your area..
Your tax deduction would be the same.

The local newspaper or similar is most likely your best bet.

Since your most likely buyer is a frugal DIY person or a rental property
owner you might explore local options for reaching these people. Most areas
of any size have landlord association of some type.

Colbyt

John Keiser

Craigslist, if its available in your area.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

i unloaded cabinets from both my main house and the apt. put in an add
in local paper - good cabinets suitable for a cottage / cabin.

SteveB

Selling them is a crapshoot. You might find someone who is looking for JUST
such a thing. And maybe not.

I once sold a radial arm saw on ebay, and put local pickup ONLY. The guy
who bought it drove 250 miles to pick it up. Go figger.

I don't think there's any "best" way to sell them. Whatever will put you in
contact with a buyer will be the "best".

Steve

People have already told you the best solution - Ebay. You can't beat
that venue. I have to strongly disagree with the poster who said
seeing them isn't important. It's very important and it will save
everyone, yourself included, time by being able to see good photos of
them on Ebay. I suggested to a friend of mine just a few weeks ago,
that he put his up on Ebay. They were average new home construction
ones, about 8 years old. He got $2500 for the cabinets and kitchen
sink, which I think is pretty damn good. He also got dozens of emails
from people asking questions about them.

Obviously, you want to make it clear where they are located and that
they are for local pick-up only.

Craig A. Clarence

"John Keiser" wrote in message
Craigslist, if its available in your area.

Second that suggestion. Before our kitchen remodel, I listed our VERY old
and worn cabinets on Craigslist, with a picture and full disclosure about
their condition. I had to take the listing down after an hour because I got
so many calls.

Fred

KVacek wrote:
Our new cabinets will be here in a week or so, and I've procrastinated
about getting rid of the old ones. They're very nice ash, very
usable, and there are lots of them along with a built-in desk, corner
cabinets, leaded glass in some doors, etc. - but we're tired of them
and besides we reconfigured and they just don't fit any more.

I've thought of the local paper, but no photos there. Maybe the
bulletin board at the grocery store? Lots of people have said to try
eBay, but old cabinets aren't a national sort of sale - these will
sell (if at all) to someone local.

Am I missing an obvious approach? Is there any proven, best way to
sell them?

Thanks!
Karl

where are you located?