Default Is this gas dryer worth fixing?

17 years old GE gas dryer is squeaking like crazy.
I am trying to decide if it is worth getting it fixed. Not a DIY job
for me.
service wants $66 to check it out. If I get it fixed parts get added
on.
I realize it may be a belt or belts or bearings or a combo.

Experiences??

TIA

LB

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message ...
17 years old GE gas dryer is squeaking like crazy.
I am trying to decide if it is worth getting it fixed. Not a DIY job
for me.
service wants $66 to check it out. If I get it fixed parts get added
on.
I realize it may be a belt or belts or bearings or a combo.

Experiences??

Could be a few things, like the drum rollers. Not terribly expensive parts.
Figure the $6 plugs maybe another $40 to $60 for labor, about $40 for parts.
If everything else is working OK, you have a serviceable dryer for less than
$150 that could last another 5 years. At 17 years you are past the
"average" life span. Something else can go again the next day. Or you can
put that $150 towards a brand new unit.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message ...
17 years old GE gas dryer is squeaking like crazy.
I am trying to decide if it is worth getting it fixed. Not a DIY job
for me.
service wants $66 to check it out. If I get it fixed parts get added
on.
I realize it may be a belt or belts or bearings or a combo.

Experiences??

Could be a few things, like the drum rollers. Not terribly expensive parts.
Figure the $6 plugs maybe another $40 to $60 for labor, about $40 for parts.
If everything else is working OK, you have a serviceable dryer for less than
$150 that could last another 5 years. At 17 years you are past the
"average" life span. Something else can go again the next day. Or you can
put that $150 towards a brand new unit.

Yup, thats the rub. And the house will probably be sold within a year.

LB