Ronny Good

Default Problem

About once a week, someone in our neighborhood gets turfed. We are in a
development about a mile off a main road. Our place got it twice this
month. The people drive down the sidewalk, then do a doughnut and down over
the curb. With the ground as soft as it is, there are some huge ruts.
Reports have been made with the authorities, but it's not like they are
going to post an officer to watch the neighborhood over such trivial stuff.
My question is, how the heck do you catch these people? I got a couple of
2x4x10's that I screwed a bunch of 3" screws through, and spray painted them
black. I was going to lay them out in the yard, but I'm afraid someone
walking their dog might get their animal hurt. What's a logical solution to
catch the perpetrators? Some type of stationary video camera? Thing is,
they may not turf our place again, but someone else in the neighborhood.

Joseph Meehan

Ronny Good wrote:
[...]

I would think a few 2x4's rigged on edge would rattle them rather well.
Space them about 18 inches apart.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Clark Griswold

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Ronny Good wrote:
[...]

I would put up a camera set to operate with a motion detecting light. Then
you'll get the *******. You could also put up boulders painted white.

We had the same problem in a brand new industrial park. Took about 8 months
to catch the turf wrecker. It was the security guard that was driving all
over the grass. Fired the guy on the spot.

Greg O

"Ronny Good" wrote in message
[...]

Re-land scape your yard, use big rocks in the appropriate places.
Greg

TURTLE

"Ronny Good" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

I don't know how serious you are but there is one way to stop it forever. i had
a uncle one time that had cars running through his front yard when they got
drunk and did now want to stay to the road and take the short cut across his
yard. He went to the scrap yard and bought him some rail road steel rails and
dug a 6 foot hole and put a rail road steel rail ever 2 to 3 feet apart with 18"
sticking out above the ground. If you crossed his yard you had to hit the rails.
For Legal reasons he put a yard plant by everyone of them and called the plant
protectors. After 3 drunks hitting them and having to call a wrecker to come to
lift the car off the rails and get the car off the rails which all three got DWI
tickets also. He had no more trouble with this. Also the cars insurance had to
replace the plant protector and have the yard land scaped again.

One item of interst here is the 18" is the point where the steel takes the
engine out of the car. Also if you talk to the fellow at the scrap yard he will
cut the rails in 7 1/2 foot pieces for you. also a 1/2 ton truck will not haul
more than about 8 -- 7 1/2 foot section of rail.

There was one that tried to sue him for having rails in his yard but by Texas
state law you can't tell the home owner what material he can use to protect
plants with. Now if he called it a car stop with no plant next to it , you could
sue him for the damage.

At the scrap yards, scrap rail road steel sells for about $5.00 a 100 pounds.

TURTLE

m Ransley

If your neighbors have the money surveylance cameras will do it, but
motion detecting may not trigger record for 2-6 seconds by then he is
gone. You just monitor all night. It is the same guy, look for grass and
mud on the tires of who you suspect. Or put out large rocks. Obviously
it is one car you are looking for.

Norminn

Ronny Good wrote:
[...]

Don't install anything that might injure innocent passersby. That is
inviting far worse problems. Ask municipality to install a couple of
signs - slow, children playing, or a speed limit. Folks in my condo
sometimes miss the driveway - same ones whose guests drop beer bottles
on the lawn.

Doug Miller

In article , Norminn wrote:

Ronny Good wrote:
About once a week, someone in our neighborhood gets turfed.

[snip]

Ask municipality to install a couple of
signs - slow, children playing, or a speed limit.

Yeah, sure, that's gonna fix the problem, all right.

two yokels driving down the street at 2AM
"Hey, Joe, let's give this guy a yard job!"
"No, Bob, you see that sign? There might be kids playing there!"
"Yeah, you're right. Guess we'd better try somewhere else."
drives off in search of a neighborhood where the kids are inside at 2AM

--
Regards,

dadiOH

Ronny Good wrote:
About once a week, someone in our neighborhood gets turfed. We are
in a development about a mile off a main road. Our place got it
twice this month. The people drive down the sidewalk, then do a
doughnut and down over the curb. With the ground as soft as it is,
there are some huge ruts. Reports have been made with the
authorities, but it's not like they are going to post an officer to
watch the neighborhood over such trivial stuff. My question is, how
the heck do you catch these people? I got a couple of 2x4x10's that
I screwed a bunch of 3" screws through, and spray painted them black.
I was going to lay them out in the yard, but I'm afraid someone
walking their dog might get their animal hurt. What's a logical
solution to catch the perpetrators?

Land mines

--
dadiOH