Doug

Default air conditioner in brick wall

Hi,
I have a one story brick house in NYC. I want to cut a hole in the
brick wall to install an air conditioner. It is a small room (about
9'x13') so the a/c will not be too big. I need information about
cutting the hole. If I assume a hole about 15" - 18" wide, will I need
to install a lintel to support the bricks? I believe that it is a
double row of bricks. Could anyone suggest a reference on installation
techniques or provide a description of how to install a lintel.
Thanks
Doug

Doug wrote:
Hi,
I have a one story brick house in NYC. I want to cut a hole in the
brick wall to install an air conditioner. It is a small room (about
9'x13') so the a/c will not be too big. I need information about
cutting the hole. If I assume a hole about 15" - 18" wide, will I need
to install a lintel to support the bricks? I believe that it is a
double row of bricks. Could anyone suggest a reference on installation
techniques or provide a description of how to install a lintel.

I'd reccomend taking this to a mason, but if you're dead set on DIY,
here's a site where someone was doing the same sort of thing (only for a
sliding door: smae priciple tho, just a bigger hole)
http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/artic...ticle_id=60242

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two devitations to get cool.

If it were mine, I'd put in a mini split system. Any holes you'd need
to put in would be very small and should be easy enough to make.

Edwin Pawlowski

Doug wrote:
Hi,
I have a one story brick house in NYC. I want to cut a hole in the
brick wall to install an air conditioner. It is a small room (about
9'x13') so the a/c will not be too big. I need information about
cutting the hole. If I assume a hole about 15" - 18" wide, will I need
to install a lintel to support the bricks? I believe that it is a
double row of bricks. Could anyone suggest a reference on installation
techniques or provide a description of how to install a lintel.

First step is to be sure there is nothing in the wall that will be cut.
Wires, plumbing, heat ducts, etc.

Mark out and cut the brick using a circular saw with an abrasive blade for
masonry. You'll need to do the corners with a chisel and hammer. I'd drill
hte four corners first so the brick does not split past where I want it to.

The lintel can be a simple piece of angle iron with side support. Given the
hole size, it is not a huge feat. In my old house, I cut the hole under a
window and use a piece of wood for the lintel as it was only supporting two
rows of bricks.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
If it were mine, I'd put in a mini split system. Any holes you'd need
to put in would be very small and should be easy enough to make.

Huge cost difference though isn't it?

AutoTracer

2x to 4x more than a window unit but only a little more than a floor unit
with a hose that goes out the window and you still need a place to put the
equipment outside.

In any case, the OP should use a diamond blade on a skill saw to cut the
morter and bricks, then chisel the rest. He may also need to put a header
at the top of the opening to support the wall above it depending on the
exact location and construction (Like you would in framing any door or
window).

The split systems also tend to be a bit bigger often requiring 220V to power
it. Another thing to upgrade before you can cool off.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
oups.com...
If it were mine, I'd put in a mini split system. Any holes you'd need
to put in would be very small and should be easy enough to make.

Huge cost difference though isn't it?

opening in brick wall Mftriola Home Repair 1 May 29th 04 05:02 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
Remove texture from brick wall? Sean Home Ownership 1 January 14th 04 02:06 AM
making hole in wall of brick house j j Home Repair 3 November 12th 03 03:09 AM
Dry Rock Retaining Wall RedHeadAllDay Home Repair 4 August 18th 03 02:12 PM