Edwin Pawlowski

Doug wrote:
Hi,
I have a one story brick house in NYC. I want to cut a hole in the
brick wall to install an air conditioner. It is a small room (about
9'x13') so the a/c will not be too big. I need information about
cutting the hole. If I assume a hole about 15" - 18" wide, will I need
to install a lintel to support the bricks? I believe that it is a
double row of bricks. Could anyone suggest a reference on installation
techniques or provide a description of how to install a lintel.

First step is to be sure there is nothing in the wall that will be cut.
Wires, plumbing, heat ducts, etc.

Mark out and cut the brick using a circular saw with an abrasive blade for
masonry. You'll need to do the corners with a chisel and hammer. I'd drill
hte four corners first so the brick does not split past where I want it to.

The lintel can be a simple piece of angle iron with side support. Given the
hole size, it is not a huge feat. In my old house, I cut the hole under a
window and use a piece of wood for the lintel as it was only supporting two
rows of bricks.