Charles Bishop

Default Vinyl Wallpaper removal

I have a wall with vinyl wallpaper on it and it's difficult to take off,
since whoever put it on didn't size or prime the wall first. The wall is
just sheets of drywall, with the wallpaper on it. I can peel the top layer
of the vinly off, leaving the remaining paper. But wetting this, while it
helps it come off, results in a time-consuming chore, and is sometimes
damaging the paper of the drywall.

I was thinking I'd just skim coat the wall and wondered the best way to do
this. I can skim coat over the vinyl but think the bond wouldn't be good.

I can use a paper tiger on the vinyl, then prime and then skim.

I can remove the vinyl layer, then skimcoat it.

I can remove the vinyl layer, prime the remaining paper then skimcoat it.

Do any of these sound workable and easiest? Any other suggestions?

Should the primer be oil, water or alcohol based?

charles
SteveB

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
[...]

If you're not going to do it right, either don't mess with it, or just
roller over it with any old thing. Call it the "New Califonia Shabby Chic"
look. That is the name for countless layers of plaster, wallpaper, paint,
and whatnot, all given another coat of paint.

STeve

Kyle Boatright

[...]

Been there, done that...

If you're planning to live in the house for a while, go ahead and rip
everything down, patch the sheetrock, and paint or whatever.

If this is a "pre-sale" project, sand the stuff to give it some "tooth" and
hit it with a layer of high end latex paint. It'll probably stay attached
long enough for the house to sell.

wallpaper removal al UK diy 10 December 31st 04 03:44 PM
Wallpaper Removal Tool Mark Stiegel Home Repair 8 December 29th 04 06:38 PM
Wallpaper removal not going so well... Liz Home Ownership 8 May 17th 04 05:33 AM
Wallpaper removal question Grendel Home Repair 6 January 26th 04 05:27 PM
Any advancements in vinyl tile removal? Ryan Home Repair 0 June 23rd 03 05:51 AM