Charles Bishop

Default Vinyl Wallpaper removal

I have a wall with vinyl wallpaper on it and it's difficult to take off,
since whoever put it on didn't size or prime the wall first. The wall is
just sheets of drywall, with the wallpaper on it. I can peel the top layer
of the vinly off, leaving the remaining paper. But wetting this, while it
helps it come off, results in a time-consuming chore, and is sometimes
damaging the paper of the drywall.

I was thinking I'd just skim coat the wall and wondered the best way to do
this. I can skim coat over the vinyl but think the bond wouldn't be good.

I can use a paper tiger on the vinyl, then prime and then skim.

I can remove the vinyl layer, then skimcoat it.

I can remove the vinyl layer, prime the remaining paper then skimcoat it.

Do any of these sound workable and easiest? Any other suggestions?

Should the primer be oil, water or alcohol based?

charles