unix-freak

Default Need Roof

Does anyone know what I should expect to hear when I a roofer gives me an
estimate on Friday for a new roof. Basically it's 17 square / 20 or 25 year
shingles. It's a cape cod style home that's very straight forward of an
install.
--
Give me Linux or give me ...uh..not Windoze.
Travis Jordan

unix-freak wrote:
Does anyone know what I should expect to hear when I a roofer gives
me an estimate on Friday for a new roof. Basically it's 17 square /
20 or 25 year shingles.

"You need a new roof".

Kathy

"unix-freak" wrote in message
Does anyone know what I should expect to hear when I a roofer gives me an
estimate on Friday for a new roof. Basically it's 17 square / 20 or 25

year
shingles. It's a cape cod style home that's very straight forward of an
install.

Is it a walkable roof? I also have a cape cod and have been shocked at the
roofing estimates I've gotten lately. $2.25-$2.75 a square foot due to the
pitch. That price incluses tear-off, all materials and labor and clean up in
south Jersey.

Joseph Meehan

unix-freak wrote:
Does anyone know what I should expect to hear when I a roofer gives
me an estimate on Friday for a new roof. Basically it's 17 square /
20 or 25 year shingles. It's a cape cod style home that's very
straight forward of an install.

You want to hear more than one estimate and you want to hear from prior
customers, Ideally you want to hear from neighbors or friends that have
used the same roofers.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Norminn

Joseph Meehan wrote:
unix-freak wrote:

Does anyone know what I should expect to hear when I a roofer gives
me an estimate on Friday for a new roof. Basically it's 17 square /
20 or 25 year shingles. It's a cape cod style home that's very
straight forward of an install.

You want to hear more than one estimate and you want to hear from prior
customers, Ideally you want to hear from neighbors or friends that have
used the same roofers.

Ideally, a friend or neighbor who used a roofer who has been in business
for a few years AND who had a minor problem addressed promptly and
appropriately. As I have been told, callbacks are commonplace and minor
fixes needed quite often. How those are addressed is good insight.

Hubby and I are experienced DIY'ers. He knows plumbing, electricity,
etc. I know the easy stuff. We have found, each time we contracted
work, that we were miles ahead by studying how the work can be done, the
product, the options for installation, the issues of improper
installation. Even with great contractors we have been fortunate to
find, we have headed off potentially major problems by addessing issues
while the work was being done. One example was the corner fit on new
counter tops. It was a tough part of the work, and didn't want to go in
flat and even until we intervened. I had rented a house with the same
problem, near a kitchen sink, and water would collect on the seam and
eventually damaged the particle board and caused it to expand. Our
floor tile installation was superb - looks like original. There were
issues with it, as well, that a good contractor knew how to manage with
skill.

At minimum, study the product(s) and installation instructions and then
be observant while the work is being done. Also, check contractor's
license history, product reviews, release of lien, payment schedule.
Many mfgs. have certification for contractors; that would seem to be a
positive and involve more support for the product, but I have no
experience with roofers in that matter. Had similar situation with
condo paint contractor, and paint company was out to check on the prep
as part of the warranty process.

I ask a lot of questions, but try to stay out of the way and not TELL
anyone how to do their job )

William Brown

First is the question of whether the prior roof(s) will be torn off.
Many seem to think you can put a new layer over two or even three prior
layers. My feeling is that any old roofing should be removed, so they
can tell if any of the sheathing needs repair. This removal costs more
and is messy, but I would demand it.

Second is evaluation of the venting. Many homes have been built without
adequate venting, and reroofing is a good time to remediate that.

Finally (the one for which I was not prepared), what color and type of
shingle will you want. Some people want what I think are called
architectural shingles, which produce a less smooth surface, and some
people want different colors. You could probably visit a roofing supply
house to get an idea of what is available; that way you will be ready
when the estimator asks.

Also, if you are in an area where you have winters, know that roofing is
largely seasonal, so they have too much work in the summer and too
little in the winter. See if you can get a better price by having the
work done before spring.

unix-freak wrote:
Does anyone know what I should expect to hear when I a roofer gives me an
estimate on Friday for a new roof. Basically it's 17 square / 20 or 25 year
shingles. It's a cape cod style home that's very straight forward of an
install.

there.
Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
"You need a new roof".

OK, seriously, be sure to ask about the preparation of the roof decking
prior to shingling. Are you going to renail (a common early technique
was to staple roof sheating in place, this is one reason you see roof
panels blown off in every tornado and hurricane damage photo)? How
about ice-and-water shield if you are in a cold climate, or secondary
waterproofing, a peel-n-stick membrane over every sheathing joint if you
are in a hurricane prone area?

What kind of underlayment will the roofer use? Is it 15, 30, or 43 lb
felt, or something better such as an inorganic fiberglass base sheet?

How will the valleys be done, open or closed? Will the contractor use
metal flashing for the valleys, and if so, what kind of metal?
Galvanized steel is common, galvalume is better, copper is best. Will
he cover the valley metal with underlayment, or leave it exposed?

If you have a chimney, will it be reflashed? What technique (ie.
counterflashing?).

How about ventilation? If adding roof vents, are they approved for the
conditions in your area (turbine vents are a bad idea in hurricane
country, unless you have a storm cap for each one of them and install
them religiously before any storm is headed your way).

Google on roofing basics before you meet with the contractor(s) and
you'll be a more informed consumer.

Kathy

I almost forgot- price includes replacing up to 10 sheets of plywood. Over
that will be $45. a sheet to replace.

Stormin Mormon

Now, that's two different things. What I'd expect a roofer to say, and what
is polite to write on a public forum. I'm not going to be able to help you,
here.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"unix-freak" wrote in message
Does anyone know what I should expect to hear when I a roofer gives me an
estimate on Friday for a new roof. Basically it's 17 square / 20 or 25 year
shingles. It's a cape cod style home that's very straight forward of an
install.
--
Give me Linux or give me ...uh..not Windoze.

johnny

"Kathy" wrote

Is it a walkable roof? I also have a cape cod and have been shocked at the
roofing estimates I've gotten lately. $2.25-$2.75 a square foot due to the
pitch. That price incluses tear-off, all materials and labor and clean up

in
south Jersey.

In my area near Lake Erie, $225 per square ($2.25 sq ft) for a single layer
tear-off with a 25 yr 3 tab plus all the trimmings is virtually unheard of.
That's cheap, probably too cheap, I don't think you would get a licensed
contractor in this area. Nevermind throwing in 10 sheets plywood,
regardless if 3/8",1/2", or 5/8". I don't see how any reputable company
would stay in business.

Exactly what are you getting for that price?

KLS

On 29 Mar 2005 11:11:59 -0800, "unix-freak"
wrote:

I was quoted 4900.00 for 17 square. I'll get a few more estimates. I
actually thought that 4k would be a fair price.

We pay a lot for roofing jobs in western New York; my 23 square roof
with tearoff of 3 previous layers, 35 yr. architectural shingles, new
decking, ice/water shield, ridge vent, lots of elevations (several
dormers and porch roofs, which means lots of flashing and some waste),
and cleanup cost me about $11,500. But the two guys who did the job
also hand nailed each shingle tab as well as power nailed alternately,
not something you can be sure to get from the lower priced outfits,
but something that definitely holds up better over time. Plus the
house is very tall, with the roofline at least 25 feet off the ground.

Kathy wrote:
"unix-freak" wrote in message
Does anyone know what I should expect to hear when I a roofer gives

me an
estimate on Friday for a new roof. Basically it's 17 square / 20 or

25
year
shingles. It's a cape cod style home that's very straight forward

of an
install.

Is it a walkable roof? I also have a cape cod and have been shocked

at the
roofing estimates I've gotten lately. $2.25-$2.75 a square foot due

to the
pitch. That price incluses tear-off, all materials and labor and

clean up in
south Jersey.

unix-freak

I'm planning to demolish an old house. I can save you a lot of

money.
I'll sell you the entire roof, shingles, boards, framing, and even
include the brick chimney if you want it. You can have the entire
roof for $2000.

That's funny! I needed a good laugh this morning.
You must remove it yourself. Not only will this save
you money, but will also save time.

ha ha ha! rotfl .....I can load up Home Depot shingles quicker....not
to mention just have it delivered.

Just load it on a trailer, haul
it home, and get all your buddies to come over to lift it up on top

of
your house. Once it's up there. put a few nails in it, caulk around
the edges and and your all set to go. Just put it right over your

old
roof. I suggest you take the chimney from my house, and leave it
attached to the roof. If your chimney is in a different place, just
use the chimney from my roof and run some flex pipe from your old
chimney to mine. As a bonus, I will include all the rain gutters and
plumbing vents. If the vents are different, so the same thing as the
chimney. Flex pipes do wonders.
The shingles are still in good condition so you wont have to do any
extra work. This sure beats having to rip off all the old shingles
and then apply new ones one at a time.

I could just see my family's look as I pull into the driveway with a
used chimney and a bunch of torn shingles....

Thanks for the laugh!

Kathy wrote:
"unix-freak" wrote in message
[...]

Spray in foam insulation + minimum roof slope? Albert Home Repair 13 November 9th 04 06:53 PM
Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM