Norminn

Joseph Meehan wrote:
unix-freak wrote:

Does anyone know what I should expect to hear when I a roofer gives
me an estimate on Friday for a new roof. Basically it's 17 square /
20 or 25 year shingles. It's a cape cod style home that's very
straight forward of an install.

You want to hear more than one estimate and you want to hear from prior
customers, Ideally you want to hear from neighbors or friends that have
used the same roofers.

Ideally, a friend or neighbor who used a roofer who has been in business
for a few years AND who had a minor problem addressed promptly and
appropriately. As I have been told, callbacks are commonplace and minor
fixes needed quite often. How those are addressed is good insight.

Hubby and I are experienced DIY'ers. He knows plumbing, electricity,
etc. I know the easy stuff. We have found, each time we contracted
work, that we were miles ahead by studying how the work can be done, the
product, the options for installation, the issues of improper
installation. Even with great contractors we have been fortunate to
find, we have headed off potentially major problems by addessing issues
while the work was being done. One example was the corner fit on new
counter tops. It was a tough part of the work, and didn't want to go in
flat and even until we intervened. I had rented a house with the same
problem, near a kitchen sink, and water would collect on the seam and
eventually damaged the particle board and caused it to expand. Our
floor tile installation was superb - looks like original. There were
issues with it, as well, that a good contractor knew how to manage with
skill.

At minimum, study the product(s) and installation instructions and then
be observant while the work is being done. Also, check contractor's
license history, product reviews, release of lien, payment schedule.
Many mfgs. have certification for contractors; that would seem to be a
positive and involve more support for the product, but I have no
experience with roofers in that matter. Had similar situation with
condo paint contractor, and paint company was out to check on the prep
as part of the warranty process.

I ask a lot of questions, but try to stay out of the way and not TELL
anyone how to do their job )