montana wildhack

Default Left broiler on - damage?

After a very long day, I decided to actually cook dinner for DH. I
broiled some steaks (and made a bunch of other sufff). When the steaks
were done, I artfully arranged our dinners on the plates and brought
him dinner in bed. Dinner was delicious, but after a while, an
incredibly nasty smell permeated the house. I realized it was coming
from the broiler (of our gas stove), which I had left on. I ran
downstairs to shut the thing off & see if the kitchen was on fire (it
wasn't). Since it's below freezing, I couldn't open the windows & doors
to air out the house.

Today I'm wondering if I did some permanent damage to the stove,
whether there is something I should look at to fix or replace and I'm
wondering what the heck makes that smell. The oven & broiler are clean
(no built-up gunk).

Aside from ending my culinary pursuits, does anyone have any
suggestions for me?

Travis Jordan

montana wildhack wrote:
Today I'm wondering if I did some permanent damage to the stove,
whether there is something I should look at to fix or replace and I'm
wondering what the heck makes that smell. The oven & broiler are clean
(no built-up gunk).

I doubt you did any damage, especially if this was a self-cleaning oven.
Most likely the smell was from fat and other cooking byproducts being
burned off the broiler area.

Edwin Pawlowski

"montana wildhack" wrote in message

. I realized it was coming from the broiler (of our gas stove), which I
had left on. I ran downstairs to shut the thing off & see if the kitchen
was on fire (it wasn't). Since it's below freezing, I couldn't open the
windows & doors to air out the house.

Today I'm wondering if I did some permanent damage to the stove, whether
there is something I should look at to fix or replace and I'm wondering
what the heck makes that smell. The oven & broiler are clean (no built-up
gunk).

While you think the oven was clean, there were probably hidden drops of gunk
that normal cleaning would not get to. The heating of the broiler over some
time finally got them hot enough to burn off. I doubt any damage was done,
other that a possible bruise to your ego. Just continue your life.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

montana wildhack

On 2005-03-06 10:37:25 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski" said:

I doubt any damage was done, other that a possible bruise to your ego.

Good to know. This oven was never designed to be self-cleaning.As long
as I didn't actually set anything on fire, I'm fine.

Thanks to Edwin & Travis.

Phisherman

Turn on the broiler and see if it works. You didn't say how long the
broiler was left on. You are fortunate the house did not catch fire.
You must have smoke and monoxide detectors. Never leave the kitchen
with the oven/broiler/stove on. Have a two or three escape plans.

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:26:07 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Turn on the broiler and see if it works. You didn't say how long the
broiler was left on. You are fortunate the house did not catch fire.
You must have smoke and monoxide detectors. Never leave the kitchen
with the oven/broiler/stove on. Have a two or three escape plans.

If you are to cook a pot of beans for five or six hours, you'd sit in the
kitchen?

Ovens are built to contain just about anything that catches fire in them.
Safest thing to do in the case of an oven fire is to close the oven door.

I agree about broiling but we often cook a pot roast for hour on the stove
top also. Low flame, heavy pot.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Stormin Mormon

1) Sure, you coulda opened the windows. Mighta been less damage than leaving
smoke indoors.
2) Doubt you did much damage.
3) Ed: Like your website. I'd wondered what you look like. Very
distinguished gent for sure.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

news

Pearl Harbor Walt LeRoy Metalworking 77 December 15th 03 06:36 AM
LP tank valve removal UPDATE Serial # 19781010 Metalworking 99 December 5th 03 03:14 PM
Right AND Left Tilt Table Saw? Mark Jerde Woodworking 13 October 30th 03 06:59 AM
Why right tilt / left tilt? Sammy Woodworking 11 October 13th 03 05:11 AM
Flood Damage BigWallop UK diy 2 July 27th 03 09:59 PM