Phisherman

Turn on the broiler and see if it works. You didn't say how long the
broiler was left on. You are fortunate the house did not catch fire.
You must have smoke and monoxide detectors. Never leave the kitchen
with the oven/broiler/stove on. Have a two or three escape plans.

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:26:07 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

After a very long day, I decided to actually cook dinner for DH. I
broiled some steaks (and made a bunch of other sufff). When the steaks
were done, I artfully arranged our dinners on the plates and brought
him dinner in bed. Dinner was delicious, but after a while, an
incredibly nasty smell permeated the house. I realized it was coming
from the broiler (of our gas stove), which I had left on. I ran
downstairs to shut the thing off & see if the kitchen was on fire (it
wasn't). Since it's below freezing, I couldn't open the windows & doors
to air out the house.

Today I'm wondering if I did some permanent damage to the stove,
whether there is something I should look at to fix or replace and I'm
wondering what the heck makes that smell. The oven & broiler are clean
(no built-up gunk).

Aside from ending my culinary pursuits, does anyone have any
suggestions for me?