montana wildhack

Default Left broiler on - damage?

After a very long day, I decided to actually cook dinner for DH. I
broiled some steaks (and made a bunch of other sufff). When the steaks
were done, I artfully arranged our dinners on the plates and brought
him dinner in bed. Dinner was delicious, but after a while, an
incredibly nasty smell permeated the house. I realized it was coming
from the broiler (of our gas stove), which I had left on. I ran
downstairs to shut the thing off & see if the kitchen was on fire (it
wasn't). Since it's below freezing, I couldn't open the windows & doors
to air out the house.

Today I'm wondering if I did some permanent damage to the stove,
whether there is something I should look at to fix or replace and I'm
wondering what the heck makes that smell. The oven & broiler are clean
(no built-up gunk).

Aside from ending my culinary pursuits, does anyone have any
suggestions for me?