blueman

Default Securing old pine flooring

I have some old (100+yr) pine flooring that is coming up --
specifically, the board is loose and the old cut nails keep popping
up. When I tried to sink the nails, I only ended up cracking the board
a bit.

What is the best way to secure the board?
- What types of nails should I use?
- Should I predill a bit to avoid cracking?
- Should I try to pull out the old cut nails that are popping out?

Jeff
John

Possibly pull up the loose nail, and replace it with a slightly bigger nail?

These guys make great cut nails (since 1819):
http://www.tremontnail.com/tremont-flooring.htm

Due to the design of the nail, you "should" be able to just sink them
without predrilling.

This is a good read:
http://www.tremontnail.com/faqs.htm

-john

"blueman" wrote in message
I have some old (100+yr) pine flooring that is coming up --
specifically, the board is loose and the old cut nails keep popping
up. When I tried to sink the nails, I only ended up cracking the board
a bit.

What is the best way to secure the board?
- What types of nails should I use?
- Should I predill a bit to avoid cracking?
- Should I try to pull out the old cut nails that are popping out?

Jeff

manhattan42

blueman Wrote:
I have some old (100+yr) pine flooring that is coming up --
specifically, the board is loose and the old cut nails keep popping
up. When I tried to sink the nails, I only ended up cracking the board
a bit.

What is the best way to secure the board?
- What types of nails should I use?
- Should I predill a bit to avoid cracking?
- Should I try to pull out the old cut nails that are popping out?

Jeff

Probably best to pre=drill then fasten with finish screws.

--
manhattan42
manhattan42's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=46

longshot

"John" wrote in message
Possibly pull up the loose nail, and replace it with a slightly bigger

nail?

These guys make great cut nails (since 1819):
http://www.tremontnail.com/tremont-flooring.htm

Due to the design of the nail, you "should" be able to just sink them
without predrilling.

This is a good read:
http://www.tremontnail.com/faqs.htm

-john

you can cut or grind the head of a nail to look like it is a square nail,
can't tell at all after its sunk.

Steve Manes

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:57:04 GMT, blueman wrote:

I have some old (100+yr) pine flooring that is coming up --
specifically, the board is loose and the old cut nails keep popping
up. When I tried to sink the nails, I only ended up cracking the board
a bit.

What is the best way to secure the board?
- What types of nails should I use?
- Should I predill a bit to avoid cracking?
- Should I try to pull out the old cut nails that are popping out?

Yeah, 100 year-old pine (I presume yellow pine) is very hard.
Predrill holes and see if you can find screw nails. They have finish
nail heads but a coarse pitch thread on the shank.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs