blueman

Default Best way to 'stain' woodfill?

I have some dark (walnut-colored) stained doors that I need to apply
some woodfill patches to.

- What is the best way to stain the woodfill?

In the past I have found that hardened woodfill (I use the Elmer's
stuff) does not take stain very will.

-Would it be better to mix a few drops of stain to the woodfill
*before* applying it?

Any other suggestions?
AutoTracer

If the area to be filled is small like a scratch or a nail hole, you may get
better match from the wax crayon type filler. They can be gotten in a range
of colors to match.

Mixing might help but additional coats might work just as well. If you
still don't like the results, try a different type of filler or mix sawdust
of the same wood with glue. Oil and water based stains will be taken up
differently as well. Oil will probably penetrate better.

"blueman" wrote in message
I have some dark (walnut-colored) stained doors that I need to apply
some woodfill patches to.

- What is the best way to stain the woodfill?

In the past I have found that hardened woodfill (I use the Elmer's
stuff) does not take stain very will.

-Would it be better to mix a few drops of stain to the woodfill
*before* applying it?

Any other suggestions?

m Ransley

Paint stores not HD have special colored putty for this, one brand has
maybe 10 colors available, usualy mixing of 2 will get you your color.

nospambob

Frequently suggested is toe apply a coat of finish to the slabe so you
have a target color to shoot for. Color the filler material and cover
with finish on a piece of scrap to test rather than test on the door.
Proceed from there. I'm making some small boxes with finger joints
and had some gaps on the backside out of sight during the clamp time.
I mixed a little sanding dust with shellac to fill the voids and the
same shellac will be used for final finish.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:02:01 GMT, blueman wrote:

I have some dark (walnut-colored) stained doors that I need to apply
some woodfill patches to.

- What is the best way to stain the woodfill?

In the past I have found that hardened woodfill (I use the Elmer's
stuff) does not take stain very will.

-Would it be better to mix a few drops of stain to the woodfill
*before* applying it?

Any other suggestions?

El-Jay

If you use a product called "Water Putty" (comes in a round can), it will
absorb stain.

"blueman" wrote in message
I have some dark (walnut-colored) stained doors that I need to apply
some woodfill patches to.

- What is the best way to stain the woodfill?

In the past I have found that hardened woodfill (I use the Elmer's
stuff) does not take stain very will.

-Would it be better to mix a few drops of stain to the woodfill
*before* applying it?

Any other suggestions?

Fiberglass Door Stain Billy Home Ownership 4 July 31st 06 03:22 PM
Will solid stain cover old stain on a deck? Mike in DE. Home Repair 1 September 7th 04 08:17 PM
Problem w/ uneven stain davidmc Woodworking 1 August 6th 04 04:35 PM
stain or knot? David Woodworking 3 August 4th 04 03:41 AM
Deck stain. Recommendation? kristen Home Ownership 5 April 14th 04 05:17 PM