Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

kristen

Default Deck stain. Recommendation?

I've got 2 decks to stain this summer. One is a back deck. Its
pressure treated wood and has never been stained or sealed. Its about
1.5 years old. I would like a transparant stain that just give a nice
golden color to the wood. Like when the wood was new and it rained
out. It would also be good to have some sort of water sealer too,
right? Do they make a 2 in 1 stain + sealer?

Also, I have a very large double decker front porch to stain. Think of
a farmers porch that is 2 levels. We have a walkout basement at the
fron of our hosue so thats why it is 2 stories. I would like to stain
the columns and railings white and then stain the flooring the same
color as the back deck. This front porch is also made from pressure
treated wood. There will be a roof over the 2nd story if that matters.
A water sealer would still be a good idea though I think.

I'm no expert but I think if I stain the columns/railings white, it
wont be a true white, right? I thought it would show a bit of the grey
wood. I could paint it but I dont want to deal with peeling paint. I
think with a stain it would fade, but I should be able to restain it.

Any suggestions for brands?

Thanks.
TomH

"kristen" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Penofin. It's a penetrating Rose wood oil. Looks great. I wouldn't
use an oil based stain again after using this.You can get this at Home
depot.

kristen

Penofin. It's a penetrating Rose wood oil. Looks great. I wouldn't
use an oil based stain again after using this.You can get this at Home
depot.

How long will Penofin last? Does it repel water? I'm not sure if
climate matters but we live in northern Vermont.

Thanks.
TomH

"kristen" wrote in message
om...
Penofin. It's a penetrating Rose wood oil. Looks great. I wouldn't
use an oil based stain again after using this.You can get this at Home
depot.

How long will Penofin last? Does it repel water? I'm not sure if
climate matters but we live in northern Vermont.

Thanks.

I'm on the 3rd year and it still looks pretty good.
It's a penetrating oil and it repels water.
Here's the web site.

http://www.penofin.com/

kristen

"TomH" wrote in message ...
"kristen" wrote in message
om...
Penofin. It's a penetrating Rose wood oil. Looks great. I wouldn't
use an oil based stain again after using this.You can get this at Home
depot.

How long will Penofin last? Does it repel water? I'm not sure if
climate matters but we live in northern Vermont.

Thanks.

I'm on the 3rd year and it still looks pretty good.
It's a penetrating oil and it repels water.
Here's the web site.

http://www.penofin.com/

Thanks. I think I might try it! Do you have one type to recommend? I
saw on their website they have the normal line, then a premium, and
one specifically for pressure treated decks. Our deck is pressure
treated, but I dont really think it has a green tint that needs
hiding.

TomH

"kristen" wrote in message
om...
"TomH" wrote in message

"kristen" wrote in message
om...
Penofin. It's a penetrating Rose wood oil. Looks great. I wouldn't
use an oil based stain again after using this.You can get this at

depot.

How long will Penofin last? Does it repel water? I'm not sure if
climate matters but we live in northern Vermont.

Thanks.

I'm on the 3rd year and it still looks pretty good.
It's a penetrating oil and it repels water.
Here's the web site.

http://www.penofin.com/

Thanks. I think I might try it! Do you have one type to recommend? I
saw on their website they have the normal line, then a premium, and
one specifically for pressure treated decks. Our deck is pressure
treated, but I dont really think it has a green tint that needs
hiding.

I'm pretty sure I just used the original and not the premium.