jj3000

Default Backyard faucet replacement

I have a cold water faucet in the backyard, the problem is when it is
on the water drips and sprays out of the knob. I'm assuming that the
whole faucet needs to be replaced.

The pipe coming out of the wall stucco is maybe 1/2" pipe, From the
wall to faucet it goes pipe-nut-exposed thread (part of faucet body)
-faucet body.

I was wondering if this is just a compression fitting.. Or is it a
Pipe threaded nut soldered on the pipe and the faucet threads onto it?

Of course, I would shut off the main water supply first, but I would
want to make sure I'm wrenching on the right thing. Would it be a
good idea to use a visegrip on the pipe while I'm unscrewing the nut
to avoid stress on the pipe? The faucet should be about 20 years old
with some paint over it.
Harry Everhart

I have a cold water faucet in the backyard, the problem is when it is
on the water drips and sprays out of the knob. I'm assuming that the
whole faucet needs to be replaced.

The pipe coming out of the wall stucco is maybe 1/2" pipe, From the
wall to faucet it goes pipe-nut-exposed thread (part of faucet body)
-faucet body.

I was wondering if this is just a compression fitting.. Or is it a
Pipe threaded nut soldered on the pipe and the faucet threads onto it?

Sounds like a typical hose bib. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get one
for under $4. It is a good idea to hold the pipe with a grip because
after 20 years - and rot can happen. I just bought a house and replaced
four hose bibs in under an hour.
Jmagerl

Maybe just the packing needs replacement. First step: locate the nut under
the knob. Tighten that and see if the problem goes away. If not, remove it
and remove the packing material under it. Go to any hardware store and buy
replacement packing (I prefer the teflon variety for cold water). Follow
directions on package, tighten nut and try again. Step 2: than you replace
faucet :)

"jj3000" wrote in message
om...
I have a cold water faucet in the backyard, the problem is when it is
on the water drips and sprays out of the knob. I'm assuming that the
whole faucet needs to be replaced.

The pipe coming out of the wall stucco is maybe 1/2" pipe, From the
wall to faucet it goes pipe-nut-exposed thread (part of faucet body)
-faucet body.

I was wondering if this is just a compression fitting.. Or is it a
Pipe threaded nut soldered on the pipe and the faucet threads onto it?

Of course, I would shut off the main water supply first, but I would
want to make sure I'm wrenching on the right thing. Would it be a
good idea to use a visegrip on the pipe while I'm unscrewing the nut
to avoid stress on the pipe? The faucet should be about 20 years old
with some paint over it.

Replace it with a ball valve. Home Depot carries them.

Stormin Mormon

Cross bucking (using a second wrench to keep the pipe from turning) is
always a good idea.

Can't tell for sure, but it certainly sounds like compression fitting.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

om...