Default Lumber for covered patio

Hi,

After 12 years, we are finally getting around to building the patio
cover/trellis. We live in Northern CA and we are looking to build a
6x6 post frame, with dual 4x6's bolter to form beams longitudinally,
with 2x6 joist on top of that. Finally, 2x2's on top to provide shade.

While I would rather use redwood, cost is a factor, so I am looking for
a recommendation on lumber that will be painted.

Also, I'll be using a Simpson anchor to hold the 6x6's on the already
installed patio. Can I treat the lower end of the 6x6 if I will be
painting?

Thanks to all.

BobK207

I would suggest rough (resawn) Douglas Fir. Prime & paint prior to
construction, touch up as needed afterwards. Just make sure whoever
provides the timber that it is consist dimension. I recently built a
patio cover & the resawn / rough DF 2x10's ran from 1 7/8 to 2 1/8 &
the width were off by even more. We used the Simpson hanger for rough
lumber but even then some had to be trimmed & some were loose.

What Simpson base did you use? I suggest one that give a substantial
standoff from the concrete; like the EPB66.

Most of the Simpson post bases do not have enough standof (only 1") f
to protect the post from water.

cheers
Bob

Dee

I would suggest rough (resawn) Douglas Fir

Ditto what Bob said. We're doing a 13'x23' patio cover right now, in fact,
and are using untreated Douglas fir.. summertime in south Texas, and it'll
hold up.

Ross Mac

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

After 12 years, we are finally getting around to building the patio
cover/trellis. We live in Northern CA and we are looking to build a
6x6 post frame, with dual 4x6's bolter to form beams longitudinally,
with 2x6 joist on top of that. Finally, 2x2's on top to provide shade.

While I would rather use redwood, cost is a factor, so I am looking for
a recommendation on lumber that will be painted.

Also, I'll be using a Simpson anchor to hold the 6x6's on the already
installed patio. Can I treat the lower end of the 6x6 if I will be
painting?

Thanks to all.

You might consider cedar....In Northern CA you have a lot of termites and
you can get the same termite resistance as redwood for a bit less....and it
smells great too....The problem with doug fir is it is a favorite for
termites...good luck on your project...Ross

christmas cash Mark Hopkins Woodturning 4 November 5th 04 05:02 AM
Check out my new lumber auctions on Ebay Gary Woodworking 0 October 23rd 04 02:31 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
NEW EXOTIC LUMBER STO HOMESHOP HARDWOODS LOWHITENER Woodworking 2 September 11th 03 10:20 PM