Tony Hwang

Default Last CRT based TV?

Hi,
Been a long while looking at new TV sets.
In a bind for a new TV set. Still hesitating to buy new tech projection,
Plasma, or LCD panels. Anyone using a HDTV ready Sony 34 in. XBR flat
screen CRT based set? Local store has some on sale for good price.
Any comments?
I have a digital cable access/high speed internet.
Tony
Drew V

Last time we met, Tony Hwang had said:
Hi,
Been a long while looking at new TV sets.
In a bind for a new TV set. Still hesitating to buy new tech projection,
Plasma, or LCD panels. Anyone using a HDTV ready Sony 34 in. XBR flat
screen CRT based set? Local store has some on sale for good price.
Any comments?

I have a 30", CRT, Sony (XBR910) HDTV which I love. The picture
quality is amazing; very sharp and clear. Rich blacks and no "screen
door" effect. It's a better picture than any plasma or LCD $5k.

The downside is that it's big and very heavey; it's not an easy thing
to move and you need a good stand for it.

dv

The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.
xrongor

hdtv ready can mean lots of things.... id look into that further.

that said, for a 34" screen, i think the crt's look tons better than
anything else out there. its not til you get to the 40+ inchers that i
think the tides start to turn in favor of more modern technology.

randy

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Been a long while looking at new TV sets.
In a bind for a new TV set. Still hesitating to buy new tech projection,
Plasma, or LCD panels. Anyone using a HDTV ready Sony 34 in. XBR flat
screen CRT based set? Local store has some on sale for good price.
Any comments?
I have a digital cable access/high speed internet.
Tony

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Been a long while looking at new TV sets.
In a bind for a new TV set. Still hesitating to buy new tech projection,
Plasma, or LCD panels. Anyone using a HDTV ready Sony 34 in. XBR flat
screen CRT based set? Local store has some on sale for good price.
Any comments?
I have a digital cable access/high speed internet.
Tony

Last year I bought a Phillips 34" HD CRT. It is the largest CRT based TV
made. IMO, the picture quality is better than any projection TV and was
reasonably priced compared to plasma or LCD. Plasma allegedly fades after a
few years also.

Get help if you buy one. That sucker is 185 pounds. I made an oak stand
for it and had to be careful of the placement as much of the weight is in
the front. If you are interested in seeing the stand, it is on my we page
under "woodworking"
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Joseph Meehan

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Been a long while looking at new TV sets.
In a bind for a new TV set. Still hesitating to buy new tech
projection, Plasma, or LCD panels. Anyone using a HDTV ready Sony 34
in. XBR flat screen CRT based set? Local store has some on sale for
good price. Any comments?
I have a digital cable access/high speed internet.
Tony

CRT's are great in almost every way other than size and weight.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Tony Hwang

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

[...]

Hi, Ed
Nice wood work. I wish I were able to make something like that.
I have hard time cutting a piece of wood straight, LOL.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Tony
Edwin Pawlowski

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi, Ed
Nice wood work. I wish I were able to make something like that.
I have hard time cutting a piece of wood straight, LOL.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Tony

Thanks.

You'd be amazed at what you can do with a few decent tools and a little
reading up on the subject.
I could have bought a stand for $100. instead, I spent $130 on materials
and a couple of weekends. The drawers are full opening and are sized to
hold a VCR tape or DVD package.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Edwin Pawlowski

"NokNokMan" wrote in message
That tv-stand-chest is a beaut, Ed.

Thank you
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:26:03 +0000 (UTC) Drew V
posted:

Last time we met, Tony Hwang had said:
Hi,
Been a long while looking at new TV sets.
In a bind for a new TV set. Still hesitating to buy new tech projection,
Plasma, or LCD panels. Anyone using a HDTV ready Sony 34 in. XBR flat
screen CRT based set? Local store has some on sale for good price.
Any comments?

I have a 30", CRT, Sony (XBR910) HDTV which I love. The picture
quality is amazing; very sharp and clear. Rich blacks and no "screen
door" effect. It's a better picture than any plasma or LCD $5k.

The downside is that it's big and very heavey; it's not an easy thing
to move and you need a good stand for it.

A friend bought a 30 or 40 inch plasma, and it was a lot heavier than
I expected. 93 pounds iirc. It took two of us, and even with the
good handle at the top corners, it still wasn't easy to carry. The
all-purpose stand he bought was probably 30 or more.

Bought on the web, they forgot to ship it**. When he called about it,
they offerred to ship it overnight from Washington State to Florida.
And they did. So it got there on the original day they said it would.

**Well, they said they decided to let the distrutor ship it, and he
didn't.

dv

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

The only usage I've seen for HDTV ready is to indicate that a set is
capable of HD resolution, ie 720P/1080i, but does not have a built-in
tuner. What have you seen?

Bob Urz

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Been a long while looking at new TV sets.
In a bind for a new TV set. Still hesitating to buy new tech projection,
Plasma, or LCD panels. Anyone using a HDTV ready Sony 34 in. XBR flat
screen CRT based set? Local store has some on sale for good price.
Any comments?
I have a digital cable access/high speed internet.
Tony

Its still hard to beat a CRT, but the clock is ticking.
Many companies are phasing out CRT production.
Pretty soon i think all that will be left is low end
Chinese units in the CRT type sets.

A crt (especially in a large format size) is heavy and takes up
more space. That is a given. But it has advantages over other formats
I have seen many DLP projection sets that don't look bad, but they
have a greenish hue to them. If you want a shock ask how much the bulb
is to replace. And who knows in 5 years if all these bulbs will be
commonly available. Plus, a DLP set is actually a mechanical device
if you can believe that. Most of these sets use a single DLP
imager that uses a spinning color wheel to get rec, green, and blue.
So you got a motor now that can get flaky or go bad.

A LCD set uses a back light for its luminance. Many have used a form
or fluorescent lamps for back light. These lamps fail like that ones
in your house or business. And there not easy to change or a user
changeable part. SOme newer units are staring to use LED's for a light
source. The jury is still out if that is going to be a better way to
go. Looks good so far.

Plasma has its own issues of screen burn and a more limited life.

So while there are many things that are cooler than a CRT, its still
a very practical device for many applications.

The bigger issue now is the shut off of analog NTSC TV over the
airwaves. Its still a very hot issue. What ever you buy should
have a DTV tuner in it or have a capability of external input.

Some day soon, millions of people in the US will be in outrage when all
they can see on there olds tv's is noise and static because the old
VHF analog TV is gone.....

BOB

Tony Hwang

Bob Urz wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

[...]

News==----
Newsgroups

Hi,
Thanks Bob. Even as a retired EE whose training goes back to vacuum tube
days things are changing in blazing speed. I can imagine the frustration
people feel when they don't have anything to do with electronics. I
decided on Sony 34XBR980 against wife's wish for bigger LCD panel. Saved
some dough too, LOL. There went my income tax refund.
We're on digital cable hook up.
Tony

xrongor wrote:
hdtv ready can mean lots of things....

No, HDTV ready means the monitor is capable of either display 720p or
1080i HD resolution. Most of the time a separate tuner is required
(i.e. your cable or satellite box). If you only want OTA (over the
air... i.e. network broadcasts), you usually have to buy that
separately.

The bigger issue now is the shut off of analog NTSC TV over the
airwaves. Its still a very hot issue. What ever you buy should
have a DTV tuner in it or have a capability of external input.

Some day soon, millions of people in the US will be in outrage when

all
they can see on there olds tv's is noise and static because the old
VHF analog TV is gone.....

BOB

There's no shutoff of the analog signal scheduled. The digital signal
transmission is required by 2006.

Drew V

Last time we met, NokNokMan had said:
That tv-stand-chest is a beaut, Ed.

Yeh, it is. And that cherry chest is amazing:
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/image...0Chest%202.JPG

dv

The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.

"There's no shutoff of the analog signal scheduled. The digital signal

transmission is required by 2006. "

That is incorrect. The current target date set by the govt for the end
of analog (NTSC) broadcasts is Dec 31 2006. There is however a
provision that requires a minimum number of homes in an area to be able
to receive digital before the analog can be shut down. I expect the
date will get pushed out, unless Congress wants to get thrown out on
their asses. However, there most definitely is a data and an urgency,
because the feds want to resell the spectrum for other uses.

curmudgeon

He IS correct...you just don't read well. He's talking about digital
broadcast transmissions and you're talking about the end of analog
broadcasts. Two very different things.

wrote in message
ups.com...
"There's no shutoff of the analog signal scheduled. The digital signal

transmission is required by 2006. "

That is incorrect. The current target date set by the govt for the end
of analog (NTSC) broadcasts is Dec 31 2006. There is however a
provision that requires a minimum number of homes in an area to be able
to receive digital before the analog can be shut down. I expect the
date will get pushed out, unless Congress wants to get thrown out on
their asses. However, there most definitely is a data and an urgency,
because the feds want to resell the spectrum for other uses.

xrongor

i realize there is an 'official' definition. as you say, it may or may not
mean the tuner is incorporated. i also see signs in the stores that say
hdtv ready and dont know if it meets the official definition.

all im saying is you should look into it and figure out exactly what you are
getting and not be suprised later. or not and just play it by ear. your
call.

randy

xrongor wrote:
hdtv ready can mean lots of things....

No, HDTV ready means the monitor is capable of either display 720p or
1080i HD resolution. Most of the time a separate tuner is required
(i.e. your cable or satellite box). If you only want OTA (over the
air... i.e. network broadcasts), you usually have to buy that
separately.

Bob Urz

Rick Brandt wrote:

Bob Urz wrote:

wrote:

The bigger issue now is the shut off of analog NTSC TV over the
airwaves. Its still a very hot issue. What ever you buy should
have a DTV tuner in it or have a capability of external input.

Some day soon, millions of people in the US will be in outrage when

all

they can see on there olds tv's is noise and static because the old
VHF analog TV is gone.....

BOB

There's no shutoff of the analog signal scheduled. The digital
signal transmission is required by 2006.

Its going to happen. its only a matter of time.
The gov thinks there going to make big bucks selling some of the
spectrum and using other parts of it for public safety.

Yeah, but let's not make it a bigger deal that it is. When that happens ANY TV
will work when hooked up to a box that will cost a few bucks. You will not see
thousands of sets sitting on the curb the next trash day.

A few bucks??? last i heard they estimated $200. Much more than most
tv's are worth. There was even talk of subsidies to accelerate the
changeover. Essentially, who wants to make a dead product??

Bob

Rick Brandt

"Bob Urz" wrote in message ...

Rick Brandt wrote:

Bob Urz wrote:
Its going to happen. its only a matter of time.
The gov thinks there going to make big bucks selling some of the
spectrum and using other parts of it for public safety.

Yeah, but let's not make it a bigger deal that it is. When that happens ANY
TV will work when hooked up to a box that will cost a few bucks. You will
not see thousands of sets sitting on the curb the next trash day.

A few bucks??? last i heard they estimated $200. Much more than most tv's are
worth. There was even talk of subsidies to accelerate the changeover.
Essentially, who wants to make a dead product??

I can buy a digital cable box NOW for 50 bucks. When hundreds of millions of
sets can make use of such a device some nice Asian company will gladly flood the
market with a unit and I will be shocked if the price doesn't quickly settle at
under 20 dollars.

Remember that all the unit has to do is the same thing as the tuner that will be
just one small component in the new TVs being sold. Just how expensive could it
possibly be? And why would it be a dead product? They still sell devices that
allow you to hook up RCA connectors to a TV that is only equipped with a coax
connector. How long has it been since you saw a new TV that didn't have RCA
connectors? Those devices are being purchased by people who have perfectly
working TVs who are now finding that the DVD player manufacturers have stopped
putting coax outputs on their units like the VCRs they're replacing. So for ten
bucks they buy an adapter.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Drew V" wrote in message
.. .
Last time we met, NokNokMan had said:
That tv-stand-chest is a beaut, Ed.

Yeh, it is. And that cherry chest is amazing:
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/image...0Chest%202.JPG

dv

Thanks, I appreciate the comments.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Tony Hwang

Rick Brandt wrote:
"Bob Urz" wrote in message ...

Rick Brandt wrote:

Bob Urz wrote:

[...]

Also they're working hard to design a CRT with lesser depth.
Tony
Bob Urz

Rick Brandt wrote:

"Bob Urz" wrote in message ...

Rick Brandt wrote:

Bob Urz wrote:

Its going to happen. its only a matter of time.
The gov thinks there going to make big bucks selling some of the
spectrum and using other parts of it for public safety.

Yeah, but let's not make it a bigger deal that it is. When that happens ANY
TV will work when hooked up to a box that will cost a few bucks. You will
not see thousands of sets sitting on the curb the next trash day.

A few bucks??? last i heard they estimated $200. Much more than most tv's are
worth. There was even talk of subsidies to accelerate the changeover.
Essentially, who wants to make a dead product??

I can buy a digital cable box NOW for 50 bucks.

Tell me who sells legitimate digital cable boxes for $50.
Show me where Scientific Atlanta, Motorola or GI sells them directly to
end users. And were not talking about HOT boxes on Ebay. Most cable
companies ONLY rent them. And if you get one stolen and have to have it
replaced, guess what, its NOT $50. Try a few hundred. Call your cable
company and ask. And most of those boxes are LOCKED to particular
cable systems like cell phones are Locked to a company. And if your
talking about direct TV satellite boxes, they don't actually cost $50.
they subsidize the hardware so you will buy the software. Them smart
cards aren't cheap. And they keep having to upgrade them to keep the
pirates at bay. Its like the printer companies selling you cheap
printers so they can later sell you expensive ink carts.

When hundreds of millions of
sets can make use of such a device some nice Asian company will gladly flood the
market with a unit and I will be shocked if the price doesn't quickly settle at
under 20 dollars.

Remember that all the unit has to do is the same thing as the tuner that will be
just one small component in the new TVs being sold.

Sounds easy doesn't it? Well it isn't. Here is a link to a trade mag
Twice on the issue:
http://www.twice.com/article/CA49251...Home+Satellite

You may have to register to read the meat of it.

This was suppose to be the year that 25" to 35" TV's transition to have
ATSC tuners in them. It been a SLOW transition. WHY? because in some
cases it has cost up to $300 more per TV to implement this.
This is DIRECT quote from the trades.

Many people got around this issue by selling units with NO tuners.
Just as you suggested. Just RCA jacks for inputs or Digital. But that
still does not solve the problem.

A digital tuner is MUCH more complex than its analog cousin.
It more akin to a small computer than a tuner. It not only has to
tune the digital signal, do complex math for multi path cancellation,
but then demod the signal and buffer it before doing decompression
and D/A decoding. Granted, pricing will come down in the future.
Buts it not even close to a $50 product now. Not to mention how many
patent holders get a cut of the action on the technology. How many links
can your provide for stand alone ATSC to NTSC tuner boxes under $50 now?
And do you want that box on top of your $100 wallmart TV?

Just how expensive could it
possibly be? And why would it be a dead product?

Its basically a dead product because its will be for old technology
units only. After a cutoff date, most new units will have the ATSC
tuners built in. SO your tooling up resources for a box that will have
large sales for a year or two at best. And people will be screaming that
they have to buy them at all. The kicker on that scenario is the cable
companies will probably rent you a box to do the conversion that is
a cable convertor also in the future. That will also cut way down on
tuner only box purchases. You will rent it, not buy it. That's the
model the cable companies want you to buy into. Its the people NOT on
cable or Satellite that will likely suffer.

Bob

They still sell devices that
allow you to hook up RCA connectors to a TV that is only equipped with a coax
connector. How long has it been since you saw a new TV that didn't have RCA
connectors? Those devices are being purchased by people who have perfectly
working TVs who are now finding that the DVD player manufacturers have stopped
putting coax outputs on their units like the VCRs they're replacing. So for ten
bucks they buy an adapter.

"He IS correct...you just don't read well. He's talking about digital
broadcast transmissions and you're talking about the end of analog
broadcasts. Two very different things. "

Heh, cumudgeon, this is what larry posted and that I responded to:

"There's no shutoff of the analog signal scheduled. The digital signal

transmission is required by 2006 "

And I'm the one that doesn't read well? He clearly stated that there
was no
shutoff of analog planned. And as I pointed out, that is incorrect.

Now get on down to Kmart and buy some reading glasses instead of making
an ass of yourself.

Tom Miller

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 02:14:16 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

| Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
| "Tony Hwang" wrote in message
|
| Hi,
| Been a long while looking at new TV sets.
| In a bind for a new TV set. Still hesitating to buy new tech projection,
| Plasma, or LCD panels. Anyone using a HDTV ready Sony 34 in. XBR flat
| screen CRT based set? Local store has some on sale for good price.
| Any comments?
| I have a digital cable access/high speed internet.
| Tony
|

| Last year I bought a Phillips 34" HD CRT. It is the largest CRT based TV
| made. IMO, the picture quality is better than any projection TV and was
| reasonably priced compared to plasma or LCD. Plasma allegedly fades after a
| few years also.
|
| Get help if you buy one. That sucker is 185 pounds. I made an oak stand
| for it and had to be careful of the placement as much of the weight is in
| the front. If you are interested in seeing the stand, it is on my we page
| under "woodworking"
| Hi, Ed
| Nice wood work. I wish I were able to make something like that.
| I have hard time cutting a piece of wood straight, LOL.
| Thanks for sharing the pictures.
| Tony

Tony, be sure to look at Toshiba CRT TVs for really outstanding
picture quality at a reasonable price. I have purchased two of them in
the last two years. Although these particular sets were not
HDTV-ready, the picture is excellent.

Then get Ed to make you a stand. Nice stand.

Tom Miller
Bonnie Jean

| In a bind for a new TV set. Still hesitating to buy new tech

projection,
| Plasma, or LCD panels. Anyone using a HDTV ready Sony 34 in. XBR flat
| screen CRT based set? Local store has some on sale for good price.
| Any comments?
| I have a digital cable access/high speed internet.
| Tony

I have a Sony Wega flat screen HDTV ready. It's a 34 or something around
there. Awesome picture. And it's not even hooked up for the HD. Paid $1200
for it a couple years ago. The person who said they are heavy was 100%
right.

Bonnie

Bob Urz

Bob Urz wrote:

[...]