Joe S

Default Device to measure electricity usage?

Is anyone aware of a device that you plug into a wall socket and then
plug your appliance into that and it measures the "cost" of running the
appliance?

I would imagine this as a relatively simple and very useful device, and
therefore likely to be in existence, but I just haven't seen one for
sale.

Joe

Joe S

Matt wrote:
http://www.smarthome.com/9034.HTML

Excellent! Thank you...EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Joe

Matt

No probs mate. You might want to google the product name to see if
anyone sells it for less - smarthome tends to markup quite a bit. I
usually use them as a catalog to see if something even exists, and then
go find it elsewhere (ebay, mfr, etc) to actually buy it.

Joe S

Matt wrote:
http://www.smarthome.com/9034.HTML

For anyone interested in this device, I found it for $27.50 (some
places sell if for $40) at:

http://www.supermediastore.com/kilwateldet1.html

I have previously used this store for CD & DVD media, but have gotten
very good service from them in that area.

Joe

bumtracks

I have one on the way off eB ay , slightly under $30 delivered
Amazon had em just under 30 shipped free too.

There's a better one that apparently stores data and plugs into a computer
serial port for interesting detail, can be had under $50 at auction... wish
I had one to tinker with, but thirty bucks is a lot for tinkering when I can
guestimate for free.

"Joe S" wrote in message
oups.com...

Matt wrote:
http://www.smarthome.com/9034.HTML

For anyone interested in this device, I found it for $27.50 (some
places sell if for $40) at:

http://www.supermediastore.com/kilwateldet1.html

I have previously used this store for CD & DVD media, but have gotten
very good service from them in that area.

Joe

Edwin Pawlowski

"bumtracks" wrote in message
Matt wrote:
http://www.smarthome.com/9034.HTML

For anyone interested in this device, I found it for $27.50 (some
places sell if for $40) at:

http://www.supermediastore.com/kilwateldet1.html

Nifty idea. The biggest energy users are probably the most difficult to
figure though. If you plug in a refrigerator, you get a reading while it
runs, but no way of telling how long it will run on a given day. Or how
often an AC compressor will cycle, etc.

Matt

www.dvdshrink.com

Jim B

On 25 Feb 2005 09:43:58 -0800, "Joe S" wrote:

Very good site, thanks.
Anymore other site for DVD burners?

Matt wrote:
http://www.smarthome.com/9034.HTML

For anyone interested in this device, I found it for $27.50 (some
places sell if for $40) at:

http://www.supermediastore.com/kilwateldet1.html

I have previously used this store for CD & DVD media, but have gotten
very good service from them in that area.

Joe

Matt

oops

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Freeware. Works VERY WELL.

Chip C

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"bumtracks" wrote in message
Matt wrote:
http://www.smarthome.com/9034.HTML

For anyone interested in this device, I found it for $27.50 (some
places sell if for $40) at:

http://www.supermediastore.com/kilwateldet1.html

Nifty idea. The biggest energy users are probably the most difficult

figure though. If you plug in a refrigerator, you get a reading while

it
runs, but no way of telling how long it will run on a given day. Or

how
often an AC compressor will cycle, etc.

In fact, the Kill-A-Watt will accumulate kWh over time, so you can
leave it plugged in for a while and the figure the average usage per
day or week.

My big complaints are that it doesn't store peak usage (which would be
useful for planning emergency backup power) and the kWh total can't be
reset without killing power to the appliance. It's also darn hard to
read from a distance or an angle and it blocks both plugs in a duplex
outlet, but putting it on an extension cord solves those.

Chip C

Jim B

On 25 Feb 2005 10:31:39 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

oops

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Freeware. Works VERY WELL.

Thanks, I mean DVD burner. Do you have good sites or deal with any honest ebay
seller? I hang around ebay waiting for a chance to buy a "reasonable" price
two-layer DVD burner.

Stormin Mormon

Called a Kill A Watt, and available at Radio Shack.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe S" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is anyone aware of a device that you plug into a wall socket and then
plug your appliance into that and it measures the "cost" of running the
appliance?

I would imagine this as a relatively simple and very useful device, and
therefore likely to be in existence, but I just haven't seen one for
sale.

Joe

Stormin Mormon

Forty bucks is about right. I got one on Ebay. someday I'm going to put it
on my fridge. Probably scare me too much.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe S" wrote in message
oups.com...

Matt wrote:
http://www.smarthome.com/9034.HTML

Excellent! Thank you...EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Joe

Clark Griswold

"Jim B" wrote in message
On 25 Feb 2005 10:31:39 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

oops

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Freeware. Works VERY WELL.

Thanks, I mean DVD burner. Do you have good sites or deal with any honest
ebay
seller? I hang around ebay waiting for a chance to buy a "reasonable"
price
two-layer DVD burner.

Dual layer DVD burners are very cheap. It's the damn media that is too
expensive. About $10 a disk.

David Efflandt

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Called a Kill A Watt, and available at Radio Shack.

Radio Shack used to sell them, but once they are gone, they don't anymore.
I got the last one my local store had.
George E. Cawthon

Chip C wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"bumtracks" wrote in message

Matt wrote:

[...]

Instead of using electronics for the measurement,
why not use a regular kWh meter. All you need is
the meter, meter base, a board to mount it on, a
cord and a box with outlets. Plug into the wall
and plug the appliance into it. You can get
watt-hour meters off the internet. I use one all
the time to measure power consumption of various
electrical devices.
Charlie Bress

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.smarthome.com/9034.HTML

Unless you are in an all gas house, you will miss the very large
contribution stove/oven, water heater and maybe electric heat.

Charlie

Drifter

On 25 Feb 2005 09:22:01 -0800, "Joe S" wrote:

Matt wrote:
http://www.smarthome.com/9034.HTML

Excellent! Thank you...EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Me too. Boy, wait until you see how much power your television is
consuming while it's "turned off". (not to mention the igniter on a
gas range).

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."