Andy Hill

Default Step on floor, wall sqeaks. WTF?

Anybody ever run into something like this?

I've got a chunk of floor in my house where if I step on the floor, a certain
section of my wall (seemingly about 4' off the floor) squeaks. Floor doesn't
squeak, just the wall. Only thing I can think of is that the floor is moving
and somehow rubbing against the wall studs. Don't know how that can be, 'tho
-- the wall plate should be on top of the subfloor, and lots of wall studs are
connected to the plate, so why would only one particular wall stud be squeaking?

I suppose I could just pull back the carpet, sink a few dozen deck screws into
the floor joist, and see if the problem goes away, but that just strikes me as
shotgunning the problem.

Any other ideas before I shotgun the problem?

Matt

When they built your house, a mouse was trapped in the wall and it's
tail was nailed to the floor by the carpet guys.

Andy Hill

FlavorFlav wrote:

Perhaps a body is buried in the wall and is squeaking for attention.

Naw. We always bury the bodies down in the crawlspace. More convenient to the
lime pit.

Andy Hill

"Matt" wrote:
When they built your house, a mouse was trapped in the wall and it's
tail was nailed to the floor by the carpet guys.

Squeak's been going on for quite a while. Damn mouse must be the size of small
dog by now. Maybe I'll load up the nailer with some framing nails. Silver
plated, perhaps.

Norminn

Andy Hill wrote:
Anybody ever run into something like this?

I've got a chunk of floor in my house where if I step on the floor, a certain
section of my wall (seemingly about 4' off the floor) squeaks. Floor doesn't
squeak, just the wall. Only thing I can think of is that the floor is moving
and somehow rubbing against the wall studs. Don't know how that can be, 'tho
-- the wall plate should be on top of the subfloor, and lots of wall studs are
connected to the plate, so why would only one particular wall stud be squeaking?

Subfloor you stand on moves on the nails holding the plate, or pushes
the plate up and down a bit?

I suppose I could just pull back the carpet, sink a few dozen deck screws into
the floor joist, and see if the problem goes away, but that just strikes me as
shotgunning the problem.

Any other ideas before I shotgun the problem?

What's underneath the floor?

Andy Hill

Andy Hill wrote:
Anybody ever run into something like this?

I've got a chunk of floor in my house where if I step on the floor, a certain
section of my wall (seemingly about 4' off the floor) squeaks. Floor doesn't
squeak, just the wall. Only thing I can think of is that the floor is moving
and somehow rubbing against the wall studs. Don't know how that can be, 'tho
-- the wall plate should be on top of the subfloor, and lots of wall studs are
connected to the plate, so why would only one particular wall stud be squeaking?

I suppose I could just pull back the carpet, sink a few dozen deck screws into
the floor joist, and see if the problem goes away, but that just strikes me as
shotgunning the problem.

Any other ideas before I shotgun the problem?

Well, to follow up, I went and sunk a few deck screws into the floor joists to
see if they would help at all. Nope. If anything, it made it worse.
Hmmmm....

Working off of Norminn's hint, I then assumed that the subfloor was somehow
moving relative to the wall plate, and the squeak was from a loose nail rubbing.
So I went down in the crawlspace to rap with the black widows for a bit, and
while there sunk a couple of deck screws up through the subfloor into the wall
plate. And wattayaknow...problem solved, at least for now.

Thanks, all!