meirman

Default Hot light fixture spheres

Will drilling holes at the top of an otherwise sealed sphere encourage
air circulation and make a light bulb run cooler?

I have a lot of light fixtures that use spherical glass globes to
cover the bulb. There is no air circulation from inside the sphere to
outside, and if I put in a high wattage bulb, it burns out quickly, I
think.

One is a "chandlier", at least it hangs from the ceiling with a chain,
with a glass globe 8 inches in diameter with a 4 inch opening at the
top. Because it is not closely attached to the ceiling, I could drill
holes in the metal part at the top, without weakening it. But if all
the holes are at the top, would that make it run any cooler?

This fixture has a dimmer, and I'd like to use a 150 or 200 watt bulb,
running it at 70 watt brightness most of the time.

(The other fixtures use a 6 inch glass sphere with a 3 inch opening,
and they say not to use more than 60 watts. I don't know what max was
recommended for the chandelier.)

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Joseph Meehan

meirman wrote:
[...]

You can not user lamps of a higher wattage than recommended in any
fixture safely, even after drilling holes. Not may fixtures call for 150 -
200 W lamps. Find out what it called for (often printed somewhere on the
fixture) and stay within that limit. Change fixtures if needed. BTW if the
maximum wattage indication has been burned off the fixture, that should tell
you something.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan wrote:

You can not user lamps of a higher wattage than recommended in any
fixture safely, even after drilling holes...

Then again, warm air rises. You might measure the globe temp with no holes
and the max recommended wattage, then drill the holes and turn up the dimmer
until the globe temp rises to the original value.

Nick

Ross Mac

"meirman" wrote in message
[...]

If you need more light, use florescent bulbs. They will give you about 3
times the light at the same wattage and won't exceed the rating of the
fixture......Ross

Joseph Meehan wrote:

You can not user lamps of a higher wattage than recommended in any
fixture safely, even after drilling holes...

Then again, warm air rises. You might measure the globe temp with no
holes and the max recommended wattage, then drill the holes and turn
up the dimmer until the globe temp rises to the original value.

You also will need to measure the temperature at the socket...

I don't think so. Just aim an IR thermometer at the globe. Basic heatflow.
If it's the same before and after, the socket will be close to the same...

If you want to find out if it is really safe, have the UL do the test.

Riiiight :-)

Nick

Phisherman

It's not practical to drill holes in glass, but I'm sure it will burn
cooler. Vibrations will make a bulb burn out faster than heat. You
need to find out the max wattage recommended for the fixture.

meirman wrote:

...I could drill holes in the metal part at the top.

...Vibrations will make a bulb burn out faster than heat.

In a chandelier? :-)

Nick

Matt

This is the reason that I put all of my bulbs in the freezer while they
are lit. Safety first - that's my motto.