Don Klipstein

In article ,
wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

You can not user lamps of a higher wattage than recommended in any
fixture safely, even after drilling holes...

Then again, warm air rises. You might measure the globe temp with no
holes and the max recommended wattage, then drill the holes and turn
up the dimmer until the globe temp rises to the original value.

You also will need to measure the temperature at the socket...

I don't think so. Just aim an IR thermometer at the globe. Basic heatflow.
If it's the same before and after, the socket will be close to the same...

If convection within the globe is greater (airspeed is higher), the
socket will be hotter - maybe not by much. You need to verify
temperatures of everything not being any hotter than when "used as
directed".

Now for another bad case: Suppose the chance of a fire starting is not
completely perfectly zero in the worst case of "using as dirceted". So
you do some usage other than "as directed" and verify no parts get any
hotter but a fire starts anyway. Now you have what I fear is the
liability problem of a fire starting from electrical equipment being used
"other than as directed".

- Don Klipstein )