Joseph Meehan

Joseph Meehan wrote:

You can not user lamps of a higher wattage than recommended in
any fixture safely, even after drilling holes...

Then again, warm air rises. You might measure the globe temp with no
holes and the max recommended wattage, then drill the holes and turn
up the dimmer until the globe temp rises to the original value.

You also will need to measure the temperature at the socket...

I don't think so. Just aim an IR thermometer at the globe. Basic
heatflow. If it's the same before and after, the socket will be close
to the same...

Personally I doubt it. The metal of the socket is physically connected
with metal (usually a good conductor of heat) directly to the heat source,
(the filament). I doubt if measuring the glass envelope is going to
properly measure the problem.

I might suggest that since it appears the OP would like to be able to
have both bright lights and be able to dim them, that maybe what he should
do is that his opportunity to add additional light creatively rather than
just over power the existing fixture.

If you want to find out if it is really safe, have the UL do the
test.

Riiiight :-)

Nick

--