oreo123

Default electrical box extension

due to redesign of wall materials the boxes are not flush with the wall. Now
some boxes are as much as a half inch behind the wall. So we need electrical
extension boxes.

Are they adjustable? And where can one order them online?

TIA

Kathy

"oreo123" wrote in message
due to redesign of wall materials the boxes are not flush with the wall.

Now
some boxes are as much as a half inch behind the wall. So we need

electrical
extension boxes.

Are they adjustable? And where can one order them online?

TIA

Why dont you shim the outlet to the correct height. I used some small beads
to do it in my kitchen.

tom

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:55:01 -0500, "oreo123"
wrote:

due to redesign of wall materials the boxes are not flush with the wall. Now
some boxes are as much as a half inch behind the wall. So we need electrical
extension boxes.

Now no mater 1/2 inch is too much. Also, depending on the walls
material there are different depths.

per 2002 NEC 314.20, to summerize: depth in noncombustible material is
allowed up to 1/4 inch. Also, depth in combustible matrial is 0, must
be flush with surface of the wall.

Since you had work done, make sure 2002 NEC 314.21 isn't violated,
summary no larger than 1/8 inch gaps around boxes.

Are they adjustable? And where can one order them online?

There are sum that act like sleeves incide the box so you can slide
them out and in to desired depth. At hd they have many box extention
rings of different sizes.

TIA

Hope this helps, and what I said about the code, you should read
directly for gettting the best accurate information.

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department Postmaster

Kathy wrote:
"oreo123" wrote in message

due to redesign of wall materials the boxes are not flush with the wall.

Now

some boxes are as much as a half inch behind the wall. So we need

electrical

extension boxes.

Are they adjustable? And where can one order them online?

TIA

Why dont you shim the outlet to the correct height. I used some small beads
to do it in my kitchen.

Kathy
Shimming the receptacle out to the surface of the wall does nothing to
restore the integrity of the box so it will contain any sparks or arc
flash to the interior of the box. In order to do that you have to
install metal or plastic box extenders that bring the front edge of the
box back out to the face of the plaster. The code requires that boxes
in combustible wall finishes must be flush with the surface or protrude
from it. Boxes in non combustible surfaces may be recessed no more than
one eighth of an inch.
--
Tom H