habbi

Default new house domestic water pipes

What are the pros and cons of using PEX plastic piping versus copper pipe
for domestic drinking water in new house construction.

Matt

PEX is easier to install, therefore saving you money. Some people are
still terrified of PEX, due to an issue with an entirely different kind
of pipe (poly) in the 80's. It's actually more resistant to bursting
from freeze than copper.

Copper causes cancer, according to Effi. Other than that, I'm not aware
of any downside to copper, other than it bursts easily when frozen.

I'd guess in another 10 years or so, copper will be phased out
completely in the mainstream.

Having said that, were I building a new house, I'd choose copper. No
real reason though, other than that's what was in my parents house, and
has been in every house I've ever owned. I don't need any new
inventions from you young wippersnappers.

Joseph Meehan

Matt wrote:
PEX is easier to install, therefore saving you money. Some people are
still terrified of PEX, due to an issue with an entirely different
kind of pipe (poly) in the 80's. It's actually more resistant to
bursting from freeze than copper.

Copper causes cancer, according to Effi. Other than that, I'm not
aware of any downside to copper, other than it bursts easily when
frozen.

I'd guess in another 10 years or so, copper will be phased out
completely in the mainstream.

Having said that, were I building a new house, I'd choose copper. No
real reason though, other than that's what was in my parents house,
and has been in every house I've ever owned. I don't need any new
inventions from you young wippersnappers.

I would have to agree with almost all of that. While I would go with
copper today, (I would like to see more history of wide use of PEX before I
would want that.) but my parents house was galvanized pipe as was my first
home.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Brian

I wanted copper on my new house, instead builder choose to
install Wirsbo Aquapex Tubing.

I am glad they did. Love it. We had our old house replumbed
with copper about a year ago. Should of used pex. It is great.

Only issue I have is the tool to work with it is way too expansive...
And can't seem to find any rental place that has it...

Brian

Art

If you are on a well in some areas and the water is a bit acidic copper will
not last.

"habbi" wrote in message
What are the pros and cons of using PEX plastic piping versus copper pipe
for domestic drinking water in new house construction.

Pete Bucy

I have been building homes for over 20 years and I can think of no
real-world characteristic of copper that is superior to PEX. I have
not used copper supply lines in a home in eight years.

PEX is tough, easy to install, and it can endure freezing much better
than copper. I have never seen a PEX pipe burst from freezing.

Pete

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:45:58 GMT, "habbi"
wrote:

What are the pros and cons of using PEX plastic piping versus copper pipe
for domestic drinking water in new house construction.

HeatMan

"habbi" wrote in message
Are there any heath issues associated with the pex tubing?

Not yet. And there probly not be any.

Matt wrote:
[...]

My house was built in 1950 and still has the original copper piping in
it. I personally wouldn't use anything else.

SQLit

"habbi" wrote in message
What are the pros and cons of using PEX plastic piping versus copper pipe
for domestic drinking water in new house construction.

My house has plastic water piping.

The only down side is that I can not set the water pressure regulator higher
than 40 psi. Showers are not what they used to be even with removing the
restrictors. Back yard hose works but lacks the pressure of the front one,
ahead of the regulator.

If the builder had used a larger pipe to the shower I would have no issues.
I like hard and large volume showers, like standing under a water fall.