Corinne

Default Heat Pump

I have received two different opinions, and would like more if anyone
can help.

I have a heat pump and one tech told me that when it gets down to 28
degrees, I should switch the heat over to auxiliary, which allows me to
use the furnace, and not the heat pump. Another tech told me not to do this.

Which one is correct, and why?

Thanks.

Corinne
TURTLE

"Corinne" wrote in message
I have received two different opinions, and would like more if anyone can help.

I have a heat pump and one tech told me that when it gets down to 28 degrees,
I should switch the heat over to auxiliary, which allows me to use the
furnace, and not the heat pump. Another tech told me not to do this.

Which one is correct, and why?

Thanks.

Corinne

This is Turtle.

If your furnace as you say is gas / oil / propane yes 28ºF is not a bad temp. to
switch at but i like the 25ºF Better.

If your furnace is electric strips. I set them to automaticly switch at 20ºF by
way of out door thermostat.

TURTLE

John Gilmer

"TURTLE" wrote in message
news

"Corinne" wrote in message
I have received two different opinions, and would like more if anyone can

help.

I have a heat pump and one tech told me that when it gets down to 28

degrees,
I should switch the heat over to auxiliary, which allows me to use the
furnace, and not the heat pump. Another tech told me not to do this.

Which one is correct, and why?

Thanks.

Corinne

This is Turtle.

If your furnace as you say is gas / oil / propane yes 28ºF is not a bad

temp. to
switch at but i like the 25ºF Better.

If your furnace is electric strips. I set them to automaticly switch at

20ºF by
way of out door thermostat.

Why "switch?"

Just let the strips come in automatically as the HP fails to maintain
temperature. The HP compressor keeps operating continuously.

Bob

I wouldn't have a heat pump in my home if you installed it and gave to me
free of charge. I had a Carrier a while back and the repairs after 1 year
nearly broke me. Heat pumps are the most over hyped piece of crap that was
ever invented.

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message
news

"Corinne" wrote in message
[...]

SJF

"Bob" wrote in message
I wouldn't have a heat pump in my home if you installed it and gave to me
free of charge. I had a Carrier a while back and the repairs after 1 year
nearly broke me. Heat pumps are the most over hyped piece of crap that was
ever invented.

Certainly not a universal experience. I live in the desert near Las Vegas
where winter temps rarely get down to 20 degrees. Had an AC, gas furnace
combination. Replaced the 19-year old AC with a Carrier heat pump (no heat
strips) in 1982 and retained the furnace for possible emergencies. At local
energy costs, the heat pump saves me about $40-50 per month for five months
each year. My total repair cost for 23 years has been about $1300 including
a replacement compressor after 15 years.

Costs depend on local climate and energy prices. There is no universal
answer. ------ SJF

Dick

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:27:00 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

I wouldn't have a heat pump in my home if you installed it and gave to me
free of charge. I had a Carrier a while back and the repairs after 1 year
nearly broke me. Heat pumps are the most over hyped piece of crap that was
ever invented.

Really. We have had heat pumps in our houses (except this one) since
1980 and never had one service call. These were all where it snows in
the winter. Idaho, Washington and Oregon. We are in the process of
having another one installed. This one in Arizona. Can't wait to
start saving money.
Bob

GOOD LUCK.

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:27:00 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

I wouldn't have a heat pump in my home if you installed it and gave to me
free of charge. I had a Carrier a while back and the repairs after 1

year
nearly broke me. Heat pumps are the most over hyped piece of crap that

was
ever invented.

Really. We have had heat pumps in our houses (except this one) since
1980 and never had one service call. These were all where it snows in
the winter. Idaho, Washington and Oregon. We are in the process of
having another one installed. This one in Arizona. Can't wait to
start saving money.

heat pump/secondary propane furnace questions JohnW Home Ownership 11 January 28th 05 01:50 PM
Cheaper to set back heat pump at night or leave at same temp? [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 27th 04 11:44 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Replace of Heat Pump or Get new system? OKE Home Ownership 1 May 15th 04 07:16 PM
turn-off: Texas heat pump sellers slow to give "happy-user" refs Mike Heatley Home Ownership 1 September 3rd 03 05:18 PM