Don

Default Question on testing or removing heating element on GE Dryer

Our dryer is not heating - it dates from 1994 - I am suspecting the
heating element but am not sure how to get at it - I know it is at the
back of the drum but the back panel does not easily come off - I have
seen some mention that one has to take the drum out but I am unsure
how to do that

Any help would be appreciated ( from a home where all of the 3
teenagers can only seem to put towels on the floor after they hve used
them - hanging them up is just too hard I guess)
RBM

If they still make them like the used to, the top pops off the dryer, the
belt comes off from around the drum, and it lifts out, exposing the spring
type element suspended on porcelain insulators mounted on the back panel.
years ago I changed these on several occasions. They all burned out from to
many bends and to long runs in the vents
"Don" wrote in message
om...
Our dryer is not heating - it dates from 1994 - I am suspecting the
heating element but am not sure how to get at it - I know it is at the
back of the drum but the back panel does not easily come off - I have
seen some mention that one has to take the drum out but I am unsure
how to do that

Any help would be appreciated ( from a home where all of the 3
teenagers can only seem to put towels on the floor after they hve used
them - hanging them up is just too hard I guess)

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

Our dryer is not heating - I am suspecting the
heating element

A copy:

Q - My electric dryer runs but will not heat, what could stop my dryer
from heating ?

A - Things that could stop a electric dryer from heating:

- house fuse or breaker ( needs 2! )... - heating element ... - burnt
wire ... - thermostats ... thermal fuse ( not all models )... - motor
heat switch ... - timer ... - selector switch ... - burnt power
cord/plug ...

A ohm meter test for these parts is below....
http://www.applianceaid.com/test_with_ohmmeter.html

I know it is at the
back of the drum but the back panel does not
easily come off

Link above also has some take apart helps....but there is more thna one
version of a GE dryer.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Vinnie Murdico

"Don" wrote in message
om...
Our dryer is not heating - it dates from 1994

Along with the other recommendations, check to make sure the dryer vent
is not clogged anywhere between the dryer and the outside vent. Check
outside at the vent weather cover and make sure it's not stuck shut (if
it has louvers or some other "moveable" cover flap(s)). Also make sure
the flex vent from back of the dryer to the outside is is not clogged
with lint.

A neighbor of ours had this happen, only to find out that the dryer vent
exited the house on the roof, and it had a wire "cage" at the end of the
vent (to keep out animals/insects, I guess), but the wire was catching
most of the link and clogging up -- eventually his new dryer simply
wouldn't heat up. Removing the lint immediately fixed it.

Ed

No need to remove the drum to test the heater. You'll need an ohm meter or
multi-tester and can buy a cheap one for under $10 at Radio Shack or similar
store. The top is held down by several screws in the front above the dryer
door. Unplug the dryer, remove the screws, raise the top and you'll be able
to see the heater terminals on the heater can. Test for continuity and
grounds at these terminals before pulling the dryer apart.

"Don" wrote

Our dryer is not heating - it dates from 1994 - I am suspecting the
heating element but am not sure how to get at it - I know it is at the
back of the drum but the back panel does not easily come off - I have
seen some mention that one has to take the drum out but I am unsure
how to do that

Any help would be appreciated ( from a home where all of the 3
teenagers can only seem to put towels on the floor after they hve used
them - hanging them up is just too hard I guess)

Appliance Repair Aid

No need to remove the drum to test the heater.

raise the top and you'll be able
to see the heater terminals on the heater can

Older ones yes, newer ones nope.

Depends on the model# and age.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Ed

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
ups.com...
No need to remove the drum to test the heater.

raise the top and you'll be able
to see the heater terminals on the heater can

Older ones yes, newer ones nope.

Depends on the model# and age.

Just the age. He gave you that.

Appliance Repair Aid

Ed wrote:
Just the age. He gave you that.

Up here with me they switched to hidden terminals around 1989, in the
US it was a few years later....some GE dryers are even a Frigidaire
built unit with a GE name tag on it :O

jeff
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

central heating inhibitor question john Smith UK diy 11 January 15th 05 01:59 PM
Central Heating Question Jackie UK diy 3 August 29th 03 10:29 PM
FAQ Question re. central heating Andy Hall UK diy 24 August 14th 03 02:31 PM
Further to my last post entitled 'Flushing and treating central heating question' David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 July 29th 03 07:15 PM
Flushing and treating Central Heating question echo21 UK diy 4 July 27th 03 10:19 AM