mark (sixstringtheoryDOTcom)

Default fireplace box - can it be painted?

I have a 19 year old townhouse. In a corner of the living room is a
fireplace, with a pretty ugly black "box" (not sure if the correct term
for this firebox is 'insert' or not?). It is painted black by the
manufacturer and through the years (before I moved in) has acquired some
scratches on the front of it. Besides the scratches, I also repainted
the living room including the trim and the black firebox doesn't match.
Is there a special type of heat resistant paint I could use to paint the
front of this fire box? Or am I stuck with the factory black?

mark
m Ransley

Is it a flat finish , not ceramic. I found once green stove paint. it is
maybe 1100f paint. Some automotive stores have maybe 900f paint. Call a
stove co or fireplace store they will know

willshak

On 1/31/2005 11:10 PM US(ET), mark (sixstringtheoryDOTcom) took fingers
to keys, and typed the following:

I have a 19 year old townhouse. In a corner of the living room is a
fireplace, with a pretty ugly black "box" (not sure if the correct
term for this firebox is 'insert' or not?). It is painted black by the
manufacturer and through the years (before I moved in) has acquired
some scratches on the front of it. Besides the scratches, I also
repainted the living room including the trim and the black firebox
doesn't match. Is there a special type of heat resistant paint I could
use to paint the front of this fire box? Or am I stuck with the
factory black?

mark

Rustoleum makes a spray paint suitable for barbecue grills (gloss and
matte).
If not, an automotive finish suitable for exhaust manifolds may work.

--
Bill
George E. Cawthon

willshak wrote:
[...]

I'll second that. Or any high temp automotive paint. And
don't worry about the temp rating of the paint. Even if you
have paint only rated for 500 F that should be ok, and if it
starts to burn, you know you are operating the insert at too
high a temp for safety. BTW, I used high temp auto paint to
paint a 3" square steel tube I used for air distribution in
a fireplace heating system and the tube was exposed to
direct heat from the fire about 8-12 inches away. It still
looks the same after years of operation.

George E. Cawthon

m Ransley wrote:
Is it a flat finish , not ceramic. I found once green stove paint. it is
maybe 1100f paint. Some automotive stores have maybe 900f paint. Call a
stove co or fireplace store they will know

Stoves and fireplace inserts should never be operated with a
surface temp of 900 F. Anything higher than 500 is getting
dangerous.