mark (sixstringtheoryDOTcom)

Default fireplace box - can it be painted?

I have a 19 year old townhouse. In a corner of the living room is a
fireplace, with a pretty ugly black "box" (not sure if the correct term
for this firebox is 'insert' or not?). It is painted black by the
manufacturer and through the years (before I moved in) has acquired some
scratches on the front of it. Besides the scratches, I also repainted
the living room including the trim and the black firebox doesn't match.
Is there a special type of heat resistant paint I could use to paint the
front of this fire box? Or am I stuck with the factory black?

mark