john246

Default HOUSE SETTLING Question

We live in a ranch home in NE Pennsylvania (house has a crawl space, no
basement)..I think part of the house might be settling,,are there any tell
tale signs that I should be looking for..any info will be gladly
appreciated...Thanks,,J

As part of a house settles, door & window openings get out of square.
Doors bind or don't stay open and windows are difficult to open.
Walls also are distrorted and cracks or the shadow of cracks appear in
wall surfaces.
Brick siding will crack.

TB

Sexytom976

Put a marble on a hard floor and see where it rolls to....
(actually if you try that and it starts to move then you've got
issues!)

Houses settle over a few years, its normal.

Look for what TB suggested with the doors and cracks
in the sheetrock.

Tom

mwlogs

Tells why you "think part of the house might be settling" and we might be
able to give you a better idea if that's what's happening. It would also be
good to know what the construction is (wood, brick, etc.) and when it was
built.

"john246" wrote in message
We live in a ranch home in NE Pennsylvania (house has a crawl space, no
basement)..I think part of the house might be settling,,are there any tell
tale signs that I should be looking for..any info will be gladly
appreciated...Thanks,,J

Pop

Telltale signs:
Uneven floors
Counter tops not level
cracked plaster ceilings
cracked plaster walls
visible cracks/misalgnment in footers underneath
Anything with 4 or more legs that used to sit OK now all 4 legs
won't touch.
roofline, viewed against the horizon, not straight
Any wall not level
Any opposite walls off-plumb in same direction.
chimney cracks, any brick/cement problems with more than hairline
cracks
MIGHT indicate a problem. EVERY house SETTLES; it's impossible
not to.

What are you worried about? Specifically?

Pop

"john246" wrote in message
We live in a ranch home in NE Pennsylvania (house has a crawl
space,
no basement)..I think part of the house might be settling,,are
there
any tell tale signs that I should be looking for..any info
will be
gladly appreciated...Thanks,,J

Matt

If he has something with 4 (or more) legs, and now none of them are
touching anything...... I'd say he has bigger problems than settling.

In this case, some kind of vortex, or parallel universe has opened in
his house. I first learned about this phenomenon when I was 6, as they
detailed it quite well on episode 3 of Lost In Space (this episode is
when Dr. Smith was still very evil; long before he turned into an
effiminate priss).

Some things to check for around the house:

When you enter a door, do you come out in a different
house/town/city/state/country/planet?
Do your children yell "They're here!" whenever you get static on the
TV?
Has a midget with tennis balls been pestering you about house cleaning?

These are just a few of the more obvious signs. Please be careful until
you get this fixed.