MJH

Default gas leak in fireplace

I have GTI model GLS-18NG natural gas fireplace. I can't find GTI on the
net (Savage, MI is listed as their address and their phone number is
invalid). Anyway, the thing has a broken gas hose and is leaking gas (I
taped it up temporarily). Is this something I can attempt to repair, or
should I let a pro do it? BTW, where is the main gas valve to a home
typically located? If I can turn the main line off, I can either repair the
fireplace or cap off the gas inlet. Will I create any problems for other
appliances (like my gas furnance) by shutting off the main gas line
temporarily, e.g. letting air in the lines, etc.??

Edwin Pawlowski

"MJH" wrote in message
Anyway, the thing has a broken gas hose and is leaking gas (I taped it up
temporarily). Is this something I can attempt to repair, or should I let
a pro do it?

Tape is not a fix or even a stop gap measure. There should be a valve
before the hose or the appliance. Turn it off.

If you have to ask, if you used tape, let a pro do it. Gas is not something
to practice your pipefitting on.

BTW, where is the main gas valve to a home
typically located?

Right at the meter.

If I can turn the main line off, I can either repair the fireplace or cap
off the gas inlet. Will I create any problems for other appliances (like
my gas furnance) by shutting off the main gas line temporarily, e.g.
letting air in the lines, etc.??

If it is still leaking, call the gas company. If it is shut off, calla
plumber and have it fixed properly.

Hello Friend

Id cap the gas line to your fireplace, at once , or find the shutoff
valve for the gas line feeding your fireplace and close it asap. Get
it fixed by a contractor familiar with gas fireplaces if possible.

Yes, if you shut off the gas meter ... you will have to purge air out of
all the gas lines feeding all gas appliances, water heater, furnace,
etc...before they will work. Let the contractor do that also.

Dr Halonfire$

Hello Friend wrote:
Id cap the gas line to your fireplace, at once , or find the shutoff
valve for the gas line feeding your fireplace and close it asap.
Get it fixed by a contractor familiar with gas fireplaces if
possible.

Yes, if you shut off the gas meter ... you will have to purge air
out of all the gas lines feeding all gas appliances, water heater,
furnace, etc...before they will work. Let the contractor do that
also.

Hack advises homeowner; hmm not good. Perhaps you think the OP has children
Dave? How's your 9-year-old boyfriend these days BTW?

--
My part-time website is at http://5110.sytes.net
The full-time one is at http://www.geocities.com/spmf38 , but there's

Stormin Mormon

Plumber, or I also thought HVAC tech. Heating guys work with natural gas. I
agree, from the fellow's questions, it sounds like he needs to "call the
man".

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus