MJH

Default gas leak in fireplace

I have GTI model GLS-18NG natural gas fireplace. I can't find GTI on the
net (Savage, MI is listed as their address and their phone number is
invalid). Anyway, the thing has a broken gas hose and is leaking gas (I
taped it up temporarily). Is this something I can attempt to repair, or
should I let a pro do it? BTW, where is the main gas valve to a home
typically located? If I can turn the main line off, I can either repair the
fireplace or cap off the gas inlet. Will I create any problems for other
appliances (like my gas furnance) by shutting off the main gas line
temporarily, e.g. letting air in the lines, etc.??