Robert11

Default X10 Compatible Smoke Detectors ?

Hello:

Anyone know of any X10 compatible smoke detectors for residential use ?

If so, brands, etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

Joseph Meehan

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Anyone know of any X10 compatible smoke detectors for residential use
?
If so, brands, etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

Have you checked at www.smarthome.com They seem to have just about
anything X10.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

RBM

Bob, IMHO: X10 is a cheesy budget wireless technology, hardly something I'd
want to depend on for something as important as your family's lives. Do
yourself a favor and hard wire your smokes. Even if you can't link them
together via three conductor romex, install them independently on 120 volt
with battery backup
"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Anyone know of any X10 compatible smoke detectors for residential use ?

If so, brands, etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

Travis Jordan

Robert11 wrote:
Anyone know of any X10 compatible smoke detectors for residential use

X.10 is an unsupervised protocol, and I wouldn't use it for any life safety
critical applications.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Robert11 wrote:
Anyone know of any X10 compatible smoke detectors for residential use

X.10 is an unsupervised protocol, and I wouldn't use it for any life
safety
critical applications.

It is also prone to false signals

Travis Jordan

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
X.10 is an unsupervised protocol, and I wouldn't use it for any life
safety critical applications.

It is also prone to false signals

A false postive might be annoying, but it wouldn't be dangerous. OTOH a
system with the lack of a relaible means of determining whether a smoke
detector signal was sent / received could be fatal.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message

It is also prone to false signals

A false postive might be annoying, but it wouldn't be dangerous. OTOH a
system with the lack of a relaible means of determining whether a smoke
detector signal was sent / received could be fatal.

Actually, it is dangerous. Ask any fireman about battery smoke detectors
that are too sensitive. People take the batteries out and they don't bother
them any more. Later, the firemen get to put the fire out and sometimes
take out bodies. If an X-10 trips too much, good chance it will get
disabled for the shame reason.

A fellow at work just a couple of weeks ago told me he disconnected his CO
detector because it went off too much. Weeks later, he was complaining of
illness, sleepiness, etc. I suggested he check it out. Well, you can
figure the rest of the story.

G. Morgan

Subject: X10 Compatible Smoke Detectors ?
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Robert11 = wrote:

Anyone know of any X10 compatible smoke detectors for residential use ?

Don't use those.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email