Robert11

Default To: G. Morgan, et al: Re Smoke (Remote) Detectors

Hello:

Will start this as a new post, as I imagine my original one is pretty well
buried by now.

Much thanks for the reply and information.
Really appreciate it very much, as it's hard to know what to do.

Can I please ask for your recommendations, brand and models perhaps, for a
relatively simple "security center"
that would enable remote wireless monitoring of the smoke alarms ?

Would probably, at this stage, not want a central station monitoring
contract.
Daisy chain wiring of smoke detectors in the house would really be a major
undertaking for me, and, although possible, would really be difficult.

Would much prefer, as you suggested, a central station in the master
bedroom, monitoring via wireless, a bunch of detectors throughout the house.

BTW: what do you think of the X10 approach ?
Does it work, relaiably, with a few PC's and other potential noise
generators
for the house wiring ?

Thanbks again,
Bob
------------------

" If the retro-wiring is not feasible your best bet is to get wireless
smokes that
are incorporated into your home security system. Of one unit trips it will
signal the control panel, which in turn will trigger the siren(s) in the
house.

Should you decide to have the system monitored, you'll get the added benefit
of
the monitoring center notifying the fire department during the emergency.
This
is a MAJOR plus for saving property should you have a fire when no one is
home
to call 911 (from the neighbors house, of course).

Feel free to ask more about that setup if you decide to go in that
direction. ?

G. Morgan

Subject: To: G. Morgan, et al: Re Smoke (Remote) Detectors
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Robert11 = wrote:

Hi Robert,

I'm crossposting this to alt.security.alarms. I see you found that group on
your own though.

Will start this as a new post, as I imagine my original one is pretty well
buried by now.

Much thanks for the reply and information.
Really appreciate it very much, as it's hard to know what to do.

Can I please ask for your recommendations, brand and models perhaps, for a
relatively simple "security center"
that would enable remote wireless monitoring of the smoke alarms ?

What you need is an alarm control panel capable of monitoring wireless sensors.
All modern controls have the ability with add-on receiver. You're likely to get
many opinions on with brand is preferred. So in order to help you decide here
are some questions to think about:

1 Is the system only going to be used for fire? Do you want home automation
features as well?

2 If you're planning on security too - and why not? How many devices are going
to be installed (i.e how big is the house)

3 What is your budget?

Would probably, at this stage, not want a central station monitoring
contract.

If you install the system yourself, there are companies that will monitor it
without a contract. I know of companies that will monitor your system for as
low as $5/month, prepaid for a year. If you don't want monitoring that's OK
too. We can set you up with a panel that is "local", and ever program it to
call your pager if you have one. There are also "voice dialers" that will dial
pre-programmed numbers and announce a pre-recored message. (use it to call the
neighbors, relatives, cell phones, etc...)

Daisy chain wiring of smoke detectors in the house would really be a major
undertaking for me, and, although possible, would really be difficult.

That's what I suspected from your first post.

Would much prefer, as you suggested, a central station in the master
bedroom, monitoring via wireless, a bunch of detectors throughout the house.

You would put the keypad in the master bedroom, and maybe one by the main
entrance if you're installing security too. The actual control panel gets
hidden in a closet or another secure location.

BTW: what do you think of the X10 approach ?

Junk. Don't use it for fire..

Does it work, relaiably, with a few PC's and other potential noise
generators
for the house wiring ?

If you opt for a control panel that has X-10 capability, just use it to flash
lights when the alarm goes off.

Here is a panel I've personally installed and would recommend:

Ademco:
(control panel) http://www.ademco.com/ademco/product...s/VISTA10P.htm
(receiver) http://www.ademco.com/ademco/products/wireless/5881.htm
(keypad) http://www.ademco.com/ademco/products/keypads/6160.htm
(smoke detector/ heat combo)
http://www.ademco.com/ademco/product...ss/5808LST.htm

Of course there a multitude of good manufacturers. Get back to me on your
specific needs and budget.

http://www.dsc.com/
http://www.napcosecurity.com/
http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/prod...ont&lang=en_US