Jeff Guay

Default Insulating Question

Hi,
I am in the process of insulating by detached garage. I have installed a
Hot Dawg unit heater and insulated the walls with R13 faced fiberglass.
The garage has two floors. The upstairs is unfinished and has dreams of
becoming a game room or studio apartment. When this happens I will install
a seperate heating system, but for now it will be unheated.
My question is what type of insulation should I install in the 2X8, 16" on
center, ceiling of the garage? Since the floor above will be heated
someday, I am assuming unfaced. Should I go with standard R-19 (6 1/4"
thick), R-21(5 1/2" thick) or even something like MIRAFLEX R-25(8 3/4"
thick)?
I live in upstate NY, I believe the design temp is around 10 below.
Thanks,
Jeff

Joseph Meehan

Jeff Guay wrote:
Hi,
I am in the process of insulating by detached garage. I have
installed a Hot Dawg unit heater and insulated the walls with R13
faced fiberglass. The garage has two floors. The upstairs is
unfinished and has dreams of becoming a game room or studio
apartment. When this happens I will install a seperate heating
system, but for now it will be unheated.
My question is what type of insulation should I install in the 2X8,
16" on center, ceiling of the garage? Since the floor above will be
heated someday, I am assuming unfaced. Should I go with standard
R-19 (6 1/4" thick), R-21(5 1/2" thick) or even something like
MIRAFLEX R-25(8 3/4" thick)?
I live in upstate NY, I believe the design temp is around 10 below.
Thanks,
Jeff

Vapor barrier towards the heated side, that is away from the garage.
Not in very warm climates that may be reversed.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

George E. Cawthon

Jeff Guay wrote:
Hi,
I am in the process of insulating by detached garage. I have installed a
Hot Dawg unit heater and insulated the walls with R13 faced fiberglass.
The garage has two floors. The upstairs is unfinished and has dreams of
becoming a game room or studio apartment. When this happens I will install
a seperate heating system, but for now it will be unheated.
My question is what type of insulation should I install in the 2X8, 16" on
center, ceiling of the garage? Since the floor above will be heated
someday, I am assuming unfaced. Should I go with standard R-19 (6 1/4"
thick), R-21(5 1/2" thick) or even something like MIRAFLEX R-25(8 3/4"
thick)?
I live in upstate NY, I believe the design temp is around 10 below.
Thanks,
Jeff

Insulate according to your assumptions. Based on your
assumptions the space above becomes a heated living space
and the bottom is unheated much of the time. I would treat
the ceiling the same as the floor above a craw space. Fully
insulate the ceiling with R-25 insulation with the facing
against the floor. You'll probably get all sort of advice,
with facing, without facing, with it down, with it up. In
the long run, if you are heating the bottom and heating the
top even though it is only periodically, you can probably
get by without facing.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Shop insulation question Dukester Woodworking 8 November 23rd 04 01:26 AM
Yale Electric Chain Hoist Question MP Toolman Metalworking 3 July 13th 04 08:24 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM