Robert11

Default Circuit Breaker Sizes ?

Hello:

Regarding circuit breakers:

Wish to replace a few of mine with the new arc fault type.

Are all circuit breakers that one finds in typical
home residences standard (the same physical size) or does, e.g,
Square D have their own size, and XXX a different size ?

If there are different standard sizes, where might I find a table
showing them, and how best to know what I have now ?
Once I open the panel up, is the size likely to be on a label, or... ?

Thanks,
B.

SQLit

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Regarding circuit breakers:

Wish to replace a few of mine with the new arc fault type.

Are all circuit breakers that one finds in typical
home residences standard (the same physical size) or does, e.g,
Square D have their own size, and XXX a different size ?

If there are different standard sizes, where might I find a table
showing them, and how best to know what I have now ?
Once I open the panel up, is the size likely to be on a label, or... ?

Thanks,
B.

You need to find breakers that are UL listed for the service entrance panel
you have.
CH/Eaton makes breakers for other panel manufactures.
SqDog has NQO and Homeline that has been used on residences in my area. The
breakers are not interchangeable.
Other panel manufactures may have other issues.
Best plan is to match the manufacture and breaker style.
All of the information should be on the label. If not pull a breaker that
you want to replace with arc fault and take it with you.

TURTLE

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

There is a fine point here that I wanted to tell you about.

You say the Sq.-D and the Sq.-D Home are not interchangiable. There is one combo
that will work here.

1) Old Sq.-D Box can use old square - D breakers.
2) Old Sq.-D Box can use New Sq.-D Home breakers.
3) Old Sq.-D Box can't use New '' Home '' Breakers and not Sq.-D Home
Breakers.

4) New '' Home '' Box will use New Sq.-D Home breaker and Home Breakers.
5) New '' Home '' Box will not take old square-D breakers.

The point here is the old sq.-D box can use the new '' Sq.-D Home '' breaker but
a old sq.-d breaker will not fit in a New Sq.-D Home box or a Home box. And with
this said. The New Sq.-D '' Home '' breaker will fit in a old square-D Box. And
Also the old Sq.-D breaker will only fit in a Old Sq.-D Box.

The New Square-D '' Home '' Breaker will fit a Old square-D box. If it says
square-D and home on it. It will go back and fit the old Square D box. Now a lot
of electrician don't know this and will replace accordingly. I had a Square-D
saleman explain this to me for there has been some discussion about this working
or not. Read carefully here for it is just one point to make.

Now I'm totally brain dead after stating this.

TURTLE

RBM

Turtle, your making me crazy, Sq D has two major residential panels,
Homeline and the more commercially used QO. Old, New, or in between, they
are not and have never been interchangeable. Homeline fits the buss by way
of a slot with an internal spring clip and Qo fit it with an external
rounded spring clip. Someone has been passing you bad information. There are
many panels and breakers referred to as " universal" which is to say that
they fit many different panels, IE; Murray, GE, some ITE, Bryant and a few
others, however you're really not supposed to install any breaker in a panel
that's not listed on the panel itself "TURTLE"
wrote in message
.. .

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

TURTLE

"RBM" rmottola1(remove wrote in message
news
Turtle, your making me crazy, Sq D has two major residential panels, Homeline
and the more commercially used QO. Old, New, or in between, they are not and
have never been interchangeable. Homeline fits the buss by way of a slot with
an internal spring clip and Qo fit it with an external rounded spring clip.
Someone has been passing you bad information. There are many panels and
breakers referred to as " universal" which is to say that they fit many
different panels, IE; Murray, GE, some ITE, Bryant and a few others, however
you're really not supposed to install any breaker in a panel that's not listed
on the panel itself "TURTLE"

This is Turtle.

I was not making a shotgun answer to universial breaker but making just one
point of the Squae-D breaker that would work and be acceptiable to Square-D
breakers verses the other Square-D Home type breakers. I do know you don't work
with Square-D breakers verses the Square-D Home breakers much for you would have
seen this matching up problem that I was speaking about. I was speaking of one
match up between the two and not as you ay a shotgun approach to breaker
matching up. Only a electrician or a person who works with these sq.-D breakers
would have a clue as to what I was talking about.

Now Also i have had this discussion with others and with SQIit and i don't
remember directing the question / answer at RBM or talking here to you. I was
adding to a conversation SQLit and I had sometime back about these breaker which
you seem to have missed.

Now by what you said above you don't know about Square-D making a [ Square-D
Home Breaker ] which will fit both Old Square-D Boxes and Home Boxes also. They
will go both ways.

TURTLE

RBM

I'm sorry Turtle, but if you are going to give someone information or
advice, it would be best for all if it is correct. I've read a number of
your posts and it is clear that you are a professional, however on this you
are dead wrong. Square D does not and has not ever made a breaker that fits
both QO and Homeline panels no matter how old or new they are. Any yes I
work with them every day and have for over thirty years. If you don't
believe me contact Square D @ 888-778-2733
"TURTLE" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

John Grabowski

I seem to recall an old style Square D circuit breaker that plugged in, but
I can't remember if it is similiar to the Murray/Gould/GE/Homeline style
that is out there now. It was made before the QO style came out. I used to
have a few laying around, but finally threw them out.

Check out this link:
http://www.electrical-contractor.net...ML/000077.html

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"RBM" rmottola1(remove wrote in message
I'm sorry Turtle, but if you are going to give someone information or
advice, it would be best for all if it is correct. I've read a number of
your posts and it is clear that you are a professional, however on this

you
are dead wrong. Square D does not and has not ever made a breaker that

fits
both QO and Homeline panels no matter how old or new they are. Any yes I
work with them every day and have for over thirty years. If you don't
believe me contact Square D @ 888-778-2733
"TURTLE" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

TURTLE

"RBM" rmottola1(remove wrote in message
I'm sorry Turtle, but if you are going to give someone information or advice,
it would be best for all if it is correct. I've read a number of your posts
and it is clear that you are a professional, however on this you are dead
wrong. Square D does not and has not ever made a breaker that fits both QO and
Homeline panels no matter how old or new they are. Any yes I work with them
every day and have for over thirty years. If you don't believe me contact
Square D @ 888-778-2733
"TURTLE" wrote in message
.. .

This is Turtle.

Earth to RBM , Check at your Electric Wholesale warehouse and see. They do make
them but they don't send out bulletins to every tom dick and harry to tell them
about them.

Now if you call Squre-d customer hot line they will not tell you about them
because it will stop most people from buying a new switch box but call you
electric warehouse and they know about them. The Key word here is '' Square-D
HOME Breaker '' and nothing else. Yes I know all about what your going to tell
me about the two boxes being different but one type breaker only will go in
both. It is a Square-D Home Breaker and nothing else. The Home and Square-D will
both be on the breaker and not just one or the other.

TURTLE