RBM

Turtle, your making me crazy, Sq D has two major residential panels,
Homeline and the more commercially used QO. Old, New, or in between, they
are not and have never been interchangeable. Homeline fits the buss by way
of a slot with an internal spring clip and Qo fit it with an external
rounded spring clip. Someone has been passing you bad information. There are
many panels and breakers referred to as " universal" which is to say that
they fit many different panels, IE; Murray, GE, some ITE, Bryant and a few
others, however you're really not supposed to install any breaker in a panel
that's not listed on the panel itself "TURTLE"
wrote in message
.. .

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Regarding circuit breakers:

Wish to replace a few of mine with the new arc fault type.

Are all circuit breakers that one finds in typical
home residences standard (the same physical size) or does, e.g,
Square D have their own size, and XXX a different size ?

If there are different standard sizes, where might I find a table
showing them, and how best to know what I have now ?
Once I open the panel up, is the size likely to be on a label, or... ?

Thanks,
B.

You need to find breakers that are UL listed for the service entrance
panel
you have.
CH/Eaton makes breakers for other panel manufactures.
SqDog has NQO and Homeline that has been used on residences in my area.
The
breakers are not interchangeable.
Other panel manufactures may have other issues.
Best plan is to match the manufacture and breaker style.
All of the information should be on the label. If not pull a breaker that
you want to replace with arc fault and take it with you.

This is Turtle.

There is a fine point here that I wanted to tell you about.

You say the Sq.-D and the Sq.-D Home are not interchangiable. There is one
combo that will work here.

1) Old Sq.-D Box can use old square - D breakers.
2) Old Sq.-D Box can use New Sq.-D Home breakers.
3) Old Sq.-D Box can't use New '' Home '' Breakers and not Sq.-D Home
Breakers.

4) New '' Home '' Box will use New Sq.-D Home breaker and Home Breakers.
5) New '' Home '' Box will not take old square-D breakers.

The point here is the old sq.-D box can use the new '' Sq.-D Home ''
breaker but a old sq.-d breaker will not fit in a New Sq.-D Home box or a
Home box. And with this said. The New Sq.-D '' Home '' breaker will fit in
a old square-D Box. And Also the old Sq.-D breaker will only fit in a Old
Sq.-D Box.

The New Square-D '' Home '' Breaker will fit a Old square-D box. If it
says square-D and home on it. It will go back and fit the old Square D
box. Now a lot of electrician don't know this and will replace
accordingly. I had a Square-D saleman explain this to me for there has
been some discussion about this working or not. Read carefully here for it
is just one point to make.

Now I'm totally brain dead after stating this.

TURTLE