Default How to verify the correct functioning of a varible speed air handler

I'm listening as well.

I have a Maytag 2 stage 100btu furnace w/ variable speed. Amana and
Maytag may be the same mfg, Nordyne, I can't recall. I have a 1700
sqr ft ranch home with about 1200 sqr ft in the basement. So I"m
trying to heat about 3000 sqr ft.

In my case, the hvac person just installed a timer/switch that runs
the furnace on "low" for 1 to 10 minutes before it kicks into "high".
The timer setting is manual. This is the "two stage". Essentially 3
burners are low and 5 burners are high.

The low/high settings appear to be controlled on the blower. He
popped the cover and put me at the 2nd to last setting. I leave the
"fan only" setting on 24x7 which keeps it running on the low speed.

It would be really nice to know what the optimal settings are. The
blower is going to be effected by the ducting. It seems the wrong
amount of airflow is going to put extra load on the motor.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:28:30 GMT, Dick Shenary wrote:

Is there a way for an amateur to verify the correct functioning of a
variable speed air handler?

System:
Amana
RHF48A2A 14 SEER Heat pump condenser